Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI grew up on BDP but that was the first time that I actually heard D-Nice tell the Scott LaRock murder
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2823531&mesg_id=2887029
2887029, I grew up on BDP but that was the first time that I actually heard D-Nice tell the Scott LaRock murder
Posted by Bombastic, Fri May-30-14 12:50 AM
Story from a first hand account, with the girl phone calling buildup, the pistol-whipping he took as a terrified 16 year-old, the fight that exacerbated the shooting, Scott in the car bleeding, etc.

If memory serves my boy in Fishtown had kinda passed down the incident as kinda being D-Nice's fault to a degree as well but it wasn't until I heard him lay it out that I could really hear how heartbreaking that was to put on a good kid caught up in dumb shit that was purely a result of the cruel circumstances he was born into as a half-an-orphan trying to make it out of the fucking South Bronx in the halcyon days of the crack era.

Dude displays some of the same recovering PTSD scars that my boy who did two tours in Iraq is currently working thru by now working with returned young soldiers trying to get their mind right back here.

That was as real and therapeutic as I've heard a man in the interview.

I had heard all about KRS' account at the hospital, shit even Serch's story of that night at the hospital Id heard multiple times.

But I had no idea that their relationship had been icy ever since due to lack of communication and people coping with loss differently.

I love KRS but that was a tough listen but their dinner and his belated acknowledgment was great to hear.

D-Nice not being too deeply involved in production past '90 also explains why BDP's beat quality dipping dramatically from that late 80s prime.

Kenny & Kris could be minimalist to a fault (hence bragging about BDP coming to the stage and studio with 'the cheapest' on Edutainment.

I never knew D-Nice produced My Philosophy, Jack of Spades, Still #1 or that BDP actually jacked Marley Marls drum reel to kill the Juice Crew two years before.

All that was new to me.

As for the second half, I found that brutally honest journey from washed-up and 'old school at 22' to finding a life outside the finicky rap industry to all the way back to the music crescendoing with being in the White House getting dapped up by Michelle Obama.

That was informative, instructive and inspiring at the same time.

But that's me.