Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGeffen Wanted More While Large Pro Gave Them Less (Than Expected)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2810325&mesg_id=2810537
2810537, Geffen Wanted More While Large Pro Gave Them Less (Than Expected)
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Tue Jun-04-13 06:08 PM
I was one of those who was hyped about Large Professor getting signed to Geffen but I kind of knew it was going to fall thru when I saw how much promotion was done thru the artist's side and not the label.

The Roots, GZA, Killah Priest, & were the the only rap artists on that label at the time and signing Large Professor was like them trying to establish their rap roster but I think the head of the rap department was expecting more from him than what they paid for, cause from listening to the 1st bootleg/leaked version of the album, it was short basic, and nothing was really going to hit high on the charts other than the two 12inches they already released.

I'm not sure if Large Pro wanted to give them any other tunes cause I think the label wanted more features from the artists he has produced for than just him solo; but I also remember talking with a label rep and asked what was the deal on the hold up and two things they said was (1)sample clearances were one of the problems, and the budget already being maxed out, (2) the label wanted him to bring more songs to the table but he didn't want to give them anymore than what he gave them.

Years later yeah the album would get various unofficial releases with bonus tracks but that's after the fact of what was originally was going to be released, personally the album sound kind of dated about two to three years if it did get released in 1997-1998.