Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjecthas Chuck ever said "I didn't cal Elvis a racist."?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2806157&mesg_id=2807790
2807790, has Chuck ever said "I didn't cal Elvis a racist."?
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-24-13 09:34 AM
because this

> "My whole thing
>was the one-sidedness -- like Elvis icon status in America
>made it like nobody else existed."

does not say that. It explains why he was angry, but it does not indicate in any way that he didn't call Elvis a racist.

Speaking of context, though, if I recall correctly, that interview was given to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Elvis's death. That's obviously going to effect his language and choice of words. It also would have been an ideal time for him to say "hey, you know what? Everyone thinks I called him a racist. But I didn't."

It's not a question of being an "Elvis supporter," and I'm sure that a lot of people who only know Chuck from that quote are asses. But Chuck's had almost 25 years to say, plain and simple, that he didn't call Elvis a racist. As far as I can tell, he never has. If a vast majority of people think he called Elvis a racist, and he didn't, at some point he would have given a straightforward answer. And given that chuck's never been one to mince words, i think that says volumes.