Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI'll reiterate.... Chuck D did NOT call Elvis racist in fight the power
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2806157&mesg_id=2807652
2807652, I'll reiterate.... Chuck D did NOT call Elvis racist in fight the power
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 04:53 PM
his characterization of "racist" was directed at the American mentality that exhalted Elvis above other Black artists who are at the foundatin of Rock and Roll. Chuck has spoken on this... In an AP interview from 2002 he said, "My whole thing was the one-sidedness -- like Elvis icon status in America made it like nobody else existed." Again..not a personal claim or attack on Elvis being racist..but a condemnation of the "system" so to speak...

The lyrics of the song, regardless of how you perceive them ...do not back up the claim that Chuck called Elvis a racist. It's understandable why people would have that perception if they have not either analyzed what was actually said...or considered the context of the song....or the actual agreement of the prounouns and words that are used.

many on this board obviously misinterprted what was said.... if you go throughout the internet you see stories supporting Elvis when the lyrics of the song are grossly misrepresented..I saw one article where the writer referred to Chuck D as "the guy who said the lyric Elvis was a racist" ...lol.

so again...

Chuck did not call Elvis a racist.... the lyrics back that up....Chuck's explanation of the lyrics back that up.