Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectChuck D left the Elvis line in at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2806157
2806157, Chuck D left the Elvis line in at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sat May-18-13 10:29 PM
it's on HBO tonight...

bout to watch it from the begining....

Harry Bellafonte presenting PE and comparing Chuck to Paul Robeson was some pretty deep stuff...

2806166, Huck D is a Jive slinging Turkey how dare he diss Elvis Presley?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sat May-18-13 11:59 PM
because he contradicted himself and said he wasn't madd at Elvis and now his non Relevant self is using Elvis as a Means to Hype his jive corny self.

Elvis Presley>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Public ENemy and it ain't even close.

Harry Belefonte is tripping Paul Robeson was a Ground Breaker, Chuck D is about as deep as a slice of chucky CHeese
2806167, and R.Kelly will never get in the hall of fame..unless he buys a ticket
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun May-19-13 12:02 AM

and the genius Qunicy Jones got in too..

I know you're mad maxx...but you'll get over it...lolol...
2806169, oh R.kelly will get in and it took Quincy oh like 40 years to get in
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 12:08 AM
and lets be real Quincy Jones only got in because of Michael Jackson, don't get it twisted.

R.Kelly got classics and Jewelry he will get in as a dominant musical figure best believes that Brother
2806341, kells is definitely getting in...in fact it's almost time for the nomination
Posted by fire, Sun May-19-13 05:20 PM
2806346, not so sure he gets in honestly... as far as Black artists
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun May-19-13 05:48 PM
the hall of fame was pretty open about letting say you're pure R&B guys in ....like Al Green and the like....but as we move towards more recent R&B acts...I'm not so sure they will be as quick to put them in....

I mean especially since there are still acts and groups like Rick James....Cameo...Zapp and Roger...have yet to get in ...and I would certainly say deserve to get in before R.Kelly... ..

then you have more and more rappers and hip hop artists becoming eligible...surely NWA will get in ...probably next year...and LL Cool J and the like eventually...

I'm just saying there are a lot of artists..and more being added to the list who may not automatically get in right away ...that are going to be ahead of R.Kelly being considered...

I mean Luther Vandross would get in before R.Kelly....and they seem to be dragging their feet on him getting in.... Then you look at even this year....and band like Rush who was pretty huge...had to wait a long time to get in themselves..

it's going to be interesing how Black artists are treated in future induction classes...questions like Will they let older artists who may have been considered boarderline for the hall of fame...will they let them in before more recent artits like kells get considered?
2806350, I think they will...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sun May-19-13 05:59 PM
>Will they let older
>artists who may have been considered boarderline for the hall
>of fame...will they let them in before more recent artits like
>kells get considered?

The chance of someone like R Kelly or even Luther getting in when an act like Deep Purple aren't even in yet seems pretty slim...
2806409, R.kelly is a Dominant act and still hits
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 09:10 PM
and yes he will get in. he has been a Dominant figure,Luther is borderline
2806423, he wouldn't get in before Luther...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun May-19-13 09:47 PM
plus there is still a list of soul and R&B singers...and groups from what's looked at as a classic era who haven't gotten in..and would get in before R.kelly..... such as Donny Hathaway.....

maybe years and years down the road Kells may get a look...but he's got a lot of people in line ahead of him....
2806432, i guess you don't know what the word Dominant means?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 10:11 PM
since you was all cool with LA running Shaq out of town you don't know what the word Dominant meant? i mean R.kelly wrote big hits on himself and for others. young, middle and old acts.

still has a thriving career as we speak.

Donny Hathaway is a good artist however he didn't do enough for a HOF induction and I likes Hathaway however he came out in a era of Stevie Wonder, Marvin gaye, Barry White,Isacc Hayes,Bill Withers, Bobby Womack, Teddy Pendergrass,Al Green,Sly Stone, Smokey Robinson

he ate eating at that table and that ain't fair.

ARRUH ran his era of the 90's and he also owned the 00's.

the only other act over the past 20 years seeing him in getting in the Hall are Mariah,Mary and Maybe Usher and that is it from the R&B/pop world
2806406, haters can hate, but Da kang getting in
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 09:07 PM
more dominant than Luther Vandross, Roger and Zapp and Cameo combined and I didn't stutter period.

Luther is borderline because he didn't have big hits until the 2nd half of his career.

Cameo is considered really good however not very good to great in the big picture.

Roger and Zapp great talent, however not enough money tracks and not a dominant Act.

Rick James deserves to be ASAP period no argument there.

however Kellz is sure fire first ballot HOF and his domiance speaks to itself and he still has hits period
2806213, you are so lame man
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Sun May-19-13 08:49 AM
2806306, so is your manma but she had you
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 02:17 PM
ole rubber stamp head turkey
2806333, You are a one man minstrel show...complete disgrace
Posted by Stadiq, Sun May-19-13 04:23 PM

You ever get tired of your tap dancing act?

Your entire ignorant style is shameful.

Isn't there an R Kelly pedophile board you can join??

2806347, You're legitimately angry and I think that's hilarious
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun May-19-13 05:48 PM
2806408, i know i wonder why that turkey is all set off?
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 09:09 PM
must be that time of the month for that turkey or something?
2806407, only if your mama joins me on that site
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun May-19-13 09:08 PM
and also i don't have to pay your child support and also not have to pay your diaper bill then yeah I'll ease up. up your nose jive turkey
2806695, the Hall of Fame is a Jive slinging Turkey of an organization
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon May-20-13 02:33 PM
I have a lingering interest in seeing who gets the nod, but it's more morbid curiosity than anything else.
2807600, politics and alot of red tape
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu May-23-13 01:44 PM
alot of song and dance and factors that ain't all about the music sad to say
2807942, its not a hype attempt
Posted by AlBundy, Sat May-25-13 12:42 AM
those are the song lyrics.

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B
2806207, RE: Chuck D left the Elvis line in at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction
Posted by Deacon Blues, Sun May-19-13 07:19 AM

yeah i was kind of surprised at that but the lyric is so famous it would be weird removing it, plus its correct in spirit
2806299, not really
Posted by Cynthia_Rose, Sun May-19-13 01:20 PM

>
>
>yeah i was kind of surprised at that but the lyric is so
>famous it would be weird removing it, plus its correct in
>spirit
2806389, RE: not really
Posted by Deacon Blues, Sun May-19-13 08:14 PM
>
>>
>>
>>yeah i was kind of surprised at that but the lyric is so
>>famous it would be weird removing it, plus its correct in
>>spirit
>

Yes in terms of the spirit of the song being anti establishment
2807943, yes, really.
Posted by AlBundy, Sat May-25-13 12:46 AM
-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B
2806212, thats rock n roll..glad he didnt Lets Spend Some Time Together it
Posted by rdhull, Sun May-19-13 08:35 AM
2806225, RE: Why shouldn't he have?
Posted by Austin, Sun May-19-13 09:59 AM
It's that attitude that got him there.

~Austin

Latest 'choon: "jacques snicket."
http://bit.ly/14iU9Xs

"It is, I think, an indisputable fact that Americans are, as Americans, the most self-conscious people in the world."
—Henry James, OM

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com/
2807923, exactly
Posted by Kosa12, Fri May-24-13 10:14 PM
if anything it would have been more "controversial" had he taken it out

like wtf.....THIS IS PUBLIC ENEMY lol
2806231, watching it now...They killed it
Posted by Menphyel7, Sun May-19-13 10:32 AM
Chuck D still got it
2806235, I have some trouble w/this DJ Lord/Confrontation Camp band version of PE
Posted by Bombastic, Sun May-19-13 10:49 AM
Chuck still did his thing, both in his speech & onstage but 'Fight The Power' doesn't need a backing band.
2806324, True....
Posted by murph71, Sun May-19-13 03:39 PM
>Chuck still did his thing, both in his speech & onstage but
>'Fight The Power' doesn't need a backing band.

I agree..

That was my issue...fuck that band shit....It makes PE's sound too muddled...Just go with with the DJ's and some percussion if they want to round the sound out...But drums and all that other instrumentation is not needed...

But glad they got in...Chuck and them deserved it...
2806321, and of course the great Albert King....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun May-19-13 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mZwHVfBMk

long overdue props for one of the greatest ever...
2806331, that was the closest I've come to being impressed by Gary Clarke Jr
Posted by Bombastic, Sun May-19-13 04:08 PM
still don't really see what's special with that dude but he did alright out there, Mayer is a better player to me but unfortunately his own music doesn't really reflect it enough.

But yes, big congrats to Albert King, loved seeing his family up there. They seemed incredibly happy, liked his grandaughter's story.

I actually didn't know he wasn't already in, there's a rack of dudes that shouldn't have been inducted before that man but all's well that ends well.
2806334, more technically proficient, not better
Posted by Cynthia_Rose, Sun May-19-13 04:37 PM

>still don't really see what's special with that dude but he
>did alright out there, Mayer is a better player to me but
>unfortunately his own music doesn't really reflect it enough.
>
>But yes, big congrats to Albert King, loved seeing his family
>up there. They seemed incredibly happy, liked his
>grandaughter's story.
>
>I actually didn't know he wasn't already in, there's a rack of
>dudes that shouldn't have been inducted before that man but
>all's well that ends well.
2806339, more versatile, better feel & skill, just makes a lot of sappy-ass music
Posted by Bombastic, Sun May-19-13 05:15 PM
and exudes douchiness in interviews.

But he's a better all-around guitar player.

2807626, actually, dare i say, Mayer KILLS with his trio with PINO and Steve Jordan
Posted by steg1, Thu May-23-13 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3bSk9euVEk
2806379, Clarke Jr is horrible. I don't get it either.
Posted by Artful Dodger, Sun May-19-13 07:36 PM
smh. Mayer is corny. His pre-fame songs were really good but ever since it's been just odd.

Glad to see PE finally get they due and how gangsta is it they left that in. Only thing better than that would have been if they didn't show up and said fuck em - but I guess that's asking too much lol.

That's why I love Axel.

Dope. The very essence of rock n roll. Rock n roll is about energy and intention - not style of play. Well done.

2806598, RE: Clarke Jr is horrible. I don't get it either.
Posted by Bombastic, Mon May-20-13 12:11 PM
>smh. Mayer is corny. His pre-fame songs were really good
>but ever since it's been just odd.
>
I don't even know what his pre-fame songs were.

He was introduced to me basically at 'Your Body Is A Wonderland' off the appropriately terrible-titled Room For Squares album.

>Glad to see PE finally get they due and how gangsta is it they
>left that in. Only thing better than that would have been if
>they didn't show up and said fuck em - but I guess that's
>asking too much lol.
>
>That's why I love Axel.
>
>Dope. The very essence of rock n roll. Rock n roll is about
>energy and intention - not style of play. Well done.
>
>
To me the energy & intention would have come across better with just Chuck, Flav, Terminator with Griff & the S1's stepping across the stage with the toy guns rather than bringing in multiple drummers/guitarists to muddle the song's essence but I guess they wanted to show where they're at 'now' but truthfully I long ago stopped keeping up with PE in that way.

To me 87-92 is the only PE period that matters as a listener/fan.
2806329, RE: Chuck D left the Elvis line in at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction
Posted by The DC Sniper, Sun May-19-13 04:00 PM
Bitch nigga
2806340, this is why i love chuck & he loves me back
Posted by fire, Sun May-19-13 05:19 PM
gully
2806380, Yep - precisely.
Posted by Artful Dodger, Sun May-19-13 07:38 PM
2809151, RE: this is why i love chuck & he loves me back
Posted by Dariusx, Thu May-30-13 07:27 PM
Co sign
2806442, Prolly left it in at Beale Street Music Festival too
Posted by Invisiblist, Sun May-19-13 10:31 PM
2806691, Cool. It still calls Elvis a racist, though.
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon May-20-13 02:08 PM
2806703, naw... he says "you"...not him or he....then says "THAT sucka"
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon May-20-13 02:47 PM
which obviously means that the prior sentence was directed to someone else...speaking about Elvis....

for example..if I'm talking to someone about George Bush.... "Bush was garbage, you racist" I'm calling bush garbage, and the person I'm talking to a racist.... the I'd say... "That sucka was a terrible President"... again..talking to a third person about Bush..."that" sucka...

if I were calling Bush a racist I would say "Bush was garbage, HE was a racist" ..... "HE was a terrible president"

see the difference...
2806705, I can't believe you are STILL arguing that
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon May-20-13 02:53 PM
I'm tempted to do a poll to see if anyone actually agrees with your reading of that.
2806715, unless someone can show me where the actual words I'm quoting
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon May-20-13 03:04 PM
are incorrect...there is no reason for me to change what I'm saying..

I'm using the actual words that were said...

If HE and YOU are in the same sentence...then the YOU cannot be referring to the HE...

Elvis.....but HE...... then YOU straight up racist..... then THAT sucka....

the HE and the THAT are referring to Elvis...the YOU which preceeds Racist is NOT..it's referring to someone else...obviously the "MOST" for whom he was a hero would be the object of the YOU racist...

again..unless someone can show me that the words I'm quoting are wrong..then they shouldnt waste their time trying to prove that these basic words from the English language somehow mean something different in this song than in every other usage...lol.

I wasn't an English major but this is pretty basic stuff...

2806731, lol
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon May-20-13 03:57 PM
Elvis was a hero to most
but he* never meant shit to me you see**
straight up racist that sucker* was
simple & plain +
motherfuck him* & John Wayne

* = Elvis. 'He' = Elvis. 'That sucker' = Elvis. 'Him' = Elvis. It's astounding to me that you won't recognize that.

**"you see" is a grammatical construct usually called a tag question, meant for confirmation that the listener understands the speaker's viewpoint. 'You see' is Chuck addressing the listener, confirming that we understand what he's talking about; he is clearly not introducing some mysterious 3d party he then calls a racist.

2806737, I don't hear See before straight up racist....I hear YOU before it..
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon May-20-13 04:14 PM
I hear YOU STRAIGHT UP RACIST, that sucker was simple and plain...

but even if it's there.... it doesn't change the fact that the only words directed at Elvis are He was a hero to most, but never meant s___ to me...... that sucker was simple and plain.....

the object of the racist name was those to whom Elvis was a hero...

again....who is the YOU...as in YOU SEE..... There is a YOU that he is speaking to...he is still referring to Elvis either by name or saying calling him HE..... YOU and HE or YOU and THAT being in the same sentence cannot be referring to the same person....

Who is the YOU that if they looked back would find rednecks for 400 years if.. YOU checked... That YOU is the same person that he called a racist 2 lines before that....

lemme add this.... why didn't the lyric just say "That straight up rascist was simple and plain"

Or "that racist sucka was simple and plain"

I mean there are so many ways that he could have directly called Elvis a racist and still kept all the words basiclly in place..... but he didn't do that, because that's not who he was calling a racist....

sucka? yes
simple and plain? yes
Mf him and john wayne?? yes
never ment ish to me? yes

racist? no
2806745, I could have sworn I heard Chuck himself say that Elvis was his
Posted by Bombastic, Mon May-20-13 04:29 PM
intended target but he later expressed remorse for it after studying his history, then shifted focus to his cultural reception while expressing admiration for the man & his work.
2806823, Chuck D wanted to be part of the memphis Mafia
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Mon May-20-13 10:02 PM
and he is sorry for spreading that lie.
2806748, You keep typing all that, but 'you see' is clearly audible
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon May-20-13 04:32 PM
and is clearly the tag to the 2d line in the verse, not the start of the 3d line.

It's even written the way I (along with, seemingly, everyone except you) hear it in the lyrics published on Public Enemy's site.
http://www.publicenemy.com/album/10/33/fight-the-power.html

Not that you're not entitled to hold it, but... your interpretation simply does not make any sense.

2806751, he doesn't say YOU SEE.... listen for yourself
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon May-20-13 04:42 PM
http://youtu.be/mcbFJAcuomI?t=2m41s

it's not audible...it's not there...because he doesn't say YOU SEE...

what I hear is..

Elvis is a hero to most but he never meant ish to me YES YOU straight out racist the sucker was simple and plain....

that's what I'm hearing...

play it over and over again LD...and there's no way you can get YOU SEE coming straight before racist..

YES YOU....not You See....
2806913, No, you don't need FBI software... not even Audacity
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue May-21-13 09:37 AM

>Elvis is a hero to most but he never meant ish to me YES YOU
>straight out racist the sucker was simple and plain....

for the record, he's not calling Elvis simple and plain. 'simple and plain' is just a reversal of the idiom 'plain ad simple' - meaning, without having to describe the situation further. He's saying it's clear, without him needing to elaborate, that Elvis was a racist. The reversal was simply so that they it would rhyme with John Wayne.

>that's what I'm hearing...
>
>play it over and over again LD...and there's no way you can
>get YOU SEE coming straight before racist..
>
>YES YOU....not You See....

Jeeze, Warren. 'You see' has been clearly audible on every single version I've heard on youtube, but anyhow, I downloaded it (turned out to be the clean version, so teh 'shit' is blanked out), plugged it into Audacity and slowed it down and it's still clear.

Hear for yourself: https://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband/he-never-meant-s-t-to-me-you

For the record, it was equally clear played back at very high speeds.

If you can't hear it, your ears are broken, simple and plain.
2806769, come on LD....SoWhat..... listen and tell me what you hear
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon May-20-13 05:35 PM
http://youtu.be/mcbFJAcuomI?t=2m41s

2806782, Listened three times
Posted by lonesome_d, Mon May-20-13 06:11 PM
Heard 'you see' all three.
2806795, lol..you heard what you wanted to hear LD....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon May-20-13 07:46 PM
that's not even close to "you see" and it doesn't take FBI technology to hear it...

wouldn't be the first time lyrics on an album or cd sleeve ..or found on the internet were not accurate....

2806920, #51 probably should have gone here
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue May-21-13 09:49 AM
so cut n paste n a little editing
----

Jeeze, Warren.

No, you don't need FBI software... not even Audacity.

'You see' has been clearly audible on every single version I've heard on youtube, but anyhow, I downloaded it (turned out to be the clean version, so teh 'shit' is blanked out), plugged it into Audacity and slowed it down and it's still clear.

Hear for yourself: https://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband/he-never-meant-s-t-to-me-you

For the record, it was equally clear played back at very high speeds.

If you can't hear it, your ears are broken, simple and plain.
2807596, last chance to hear it slowed down
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu May-23-13 01:06 PM
I'll be taking down the file tonight or tomorrow.

Then again, you'll be able to hear it anytime you want after that, just as clearly, at regular speed.
2807621, I'm hearing Yes, you str.......
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 03:16 PM
if you listen to the word right after me.... I'm hearing the word "yes" right after "me".... me, yes... that's what I'm hearing...even more clearly slowed down...

the other thing that becomes very aparant when it's slowed down is that you hear "YOU" directly before straight out racist...

slowed down...very very clearly you hear... YOU STRAIGHT OUT RACIST

YOU STRA.... YOU STRA.....

that's what I'm hearing..... and I'll tell you that i most certainly don't hear the word SEE before STRAIGHT..... that isn't even close..

the other thing I notice that is clear is that the "S" sound in what I'm hearing as ye(S) ..is not followed by any other syllables as if it's the begining sound of a word like SEE.... it ENDS a word ...like YE(S) then a new word comes before Straigt..

YES YOU.....

it's very clear...

there is definitely a word that comes before STRAIGHT that is BEGINING the phrase...not ending the previous one..

honestly it's very clear what he's saying.
2807622, i think PE made it very clear what they're saying.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu May-23-13 03:20 PM
i mean, the official lyrics as printed on PE's website contradict what you're hearing.

LOL

*SMH*
2807627, I'm telling you what I'm hearing....
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 03:32 PM
if you hear something different that's on you. But what the printed lyrics say is not what is heard on the record..even more so when it's slowed down...

and printed sleeve lyrics and what is actually said on record have been out of sync for years....and I'm sure it happened even more so in rap music because of the importance of rhyming and the desire by many artists to have their words appreciated not only as prose, but to have a level of grammatical correctness. There are many examples of which I can post up later...

but either way.... whether its played at regular speed or slowed down, I hear Chuck D say He never meant shit to me, yes you straight out racists THAT sucker was simple and plain..

just the fact THAT is coming before sucker makes it clear and obvious that the person he is directing the comment of RACIST to is seperate from Elvis...Elvis is referred to as THAT SUCKER.... not YOU sucker....or Elvis is A sucker... he's THAT sucker...and he's saying it to YOU...

just from from a grammatical consistency ...AND what is heard on the actual record...I stand by what I'm saying even moreso....

2807638, lol
Posted by SoWhat, Thu May-23-13 03:58 PM
*smh*
2807625, Get your hearing checked, man
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu May-23-13 03:29 PM
2807628, no need... I'm even more certain than ever what's being heard
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 03:34 PM
..and very sure that what you claim is there is not heard..

there are no syllables heard after the "S" sound...none. .... you got to have the "ee" sound if it's SEE..... you don't need any sound after S to say YES... and that's what's on the recording...

thanks for slowing it down though because now I'm more sure that I haven't been hearing things all these years....lol.
2807629, Amazing.
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu May-23-13 03:35 PM
2807633, so you hear syllables after the S sound???
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 03:42 PM
I mean it's a hard S sound too.... the S in See is a soft S sound....the S in YES is a hard S sound...

I dunno man... I honestly don't think it could be any more clear.

the most clear thing one can hear in BOTH the song at regular speed, and the song slowed down is YOU straight up racist.... not SEE, straight up racist..

he's saying YOU STRAIGHT UP RACIST... with that being the case...the actual lyric that's said can't being YOU SEE...unless it's You see, you straight up racist...which that obviously isn't the case...

if it's YOU Straight up racist.... it can't be the way you're saying.
2807637, y'see?
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu May-23-13 03:55 PM
2807639, naw...the "e" sound is more eh....not a long e sound like in see
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 04:02 PM
in fact on that entire part..you cannot hear anything close to the long "e" sound..... but you clearly hear YOU before Straight...

YOU STRAIGHT....

2807642, Clearly, you don't see
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu May-23-13 04:07 PM
*shrug*
2807652, I'll reiterate.... Chuck D did NOT call Elvis racist in fight the power
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-23-13 04:53 PM
his characterization of "racist" was directed at the American mentality that exhalted Elvis above other Black artists who are at the foundatin of Rock and Roll. Chuck has spoken on this... In an AP interview from 2002 he said, "My whole thing was the one-sidedness -- like Elvis icon status in America made it like nobody else existed." Again..not a personal claim or attack on Elvis being racist..but a condemnation of the "system" so to speak...

The lyrics of the song, regardless of how you perceive them ...do not back up the claim that Chuck called Elvis a racist. It's understandable why people would have that perception if they have not either analyzed what was actually said...or considered the context of the song....or the actual agreement of the prounouns and words that are used.

many on this board obviously misinterprted what was said.... if you go throughout the internet you see stories supporting Elvis when the lyrics of the song are grossly misrepresented..I saw one article where the writer referred to Chuck D as "the guy who said the lyric Elvis was a racist" ...lol.

so again...

Chuck did not call Elvis a racist.... the lyrics back that up....Chuck's explanation of the lyrics back that up.
2807790, has Chuck ever said "I didn't cal Elvis a racist."?
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-24-13 09:34 AM
because this

> "My whole thing
>was the one-sidedness -- like Elvis icon status in America
>made it like nobody else existed."

does not say that. It explains why he was angry, but it does not indicate in any way that he didn't call Elvis a racist.

Speaking of context, though, if I recall correctly, that interview was given to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Elvis's death. That's obviously going to effect his language and choice of words. It also would have been an ideal time for him to say "hey, you know what? Everyone thinks I called him a racist. But I didn't."

It's not a question of being an "Elvis supporter," and I'm sure that a lot of people who only know Chuck from that quote are asses. But Chuck's had almost 25 years to say, plain and simple, that he didn't call Elvis a racist. As far as I can tell, he never has. If a vast majority of people think he called Elvis a racist, and he didn't, at some point he would have given a straightforward answer. And given that chuck's never been one to mince words, i think that says volumes.
2807795, Whatevs.
Posted by denny, Fri May-24-13 10:00 AM
I have no idea what Coolridge is talking about. But i'll say this....my pops was FURIOUS when he heard the line

'Your CIA, you see I ain't kiddin'
Both King and X they got ridda' both'

Pops: What did he just say?

11 year old me: The cia killed Martin luther king and malcolm X

Pops took the tape out of the machine and left the room. Came back with the Malcolm X autobiography. I wasn't allowed to listen to the tape til I finished the book.

Good thing he didn't hear the Elvis line cause he probably would've confiscated the tape for good. He's a big Elvis fan.
2807797, he's never apologized for calling him racist..because he didn't call him
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri May-24-13 10:10 AM
>because this
>
>> "My whole thing
>>was the one-sidedness -- like Elvis icon status in America
>>made it like nobody else existed."
>
>does not say that. It explains why he was angry, but it does
>not indicate in any way that he didn't call Elvis a racist.
>

him racist. He explained the context of what he said as being not about Elvis the person, but about the system or environment that exhalted him

>Speaking of context, though, if I recall correctly, that
>interview was given to commemorate the 25th anniversary of
>Elvis's death. That's obviously going to effect his language
>and choice of words. It also would have been an ideal time for
>him to say "hey, you know what? Everyone thinks I called him a
>racist. But I didn't."

>
>It's not a question of being an "Elvis supporter," and I'm
>sure that a lot of people who only know Chuck from that quote
>are asses. But Chuck's had almost 25 years to say, plain and
>simple, that he didn't call Elvis a racist. As far as I can
>tell, he never has. If a vast majority of people think he
>called Elvis a racist, and he didn't, at some point he would
>have given a straightforward answer. And given that chuck's
>never been one to mince words, i think that says volumes.

again...he's never said that he DID call him one. The only way you get to that is by misrepresenting the intention of the line....which Chuck clarified his intention by saying that Elvis was not the target as much as he was the symbol of the target
2807798, man, whatever
Posted by lonesome_d, Fri May-24-13 10:16 AM

>again...he's never said that he DID call him one.

except to people who can hear the 'you see' in Fight the Power.

*shrug*
2807807, everybody heard chuck d say elvis to most but he never
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Fri May-24-13 10:57 AM
meant blank, and so and so him and john wayne.

fast forward to now and you can't tell if its photoshop or real of Chuck D standing outside of "Graceland" kicking his heels like Dorothy
2807814, whether it's you see or not....he still didnt' call Elvis a racist
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri May-24-13 11:40 AM
and has said that he was not speaking to Elvis the individual but to the system.....or to use a different term "the power"... thus the title of the song...
2807922, lets see Elvis Presley's face was plastered in the video
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Fri May-24-13 10:09 PM
name was called, i mean Chuck D wasn't talking about Elvis Peacock or Elvis Costello
2806894, 2:44-45
Posted by Nodima, Tue May-21-13 08:47 AM
cmon son

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2807948, Def says "you see"
Posted by bski, Sat May-25-13 01:33 AM
You really can't hear that?

http://twitter.com/collazo
2806747, yeah that's how i've always heard it.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon May-20-13 04:32 PM
i'm LOLing over here.
2807947, WC's out of his fucking mind.
Posted by shockzilla, Sat May-25-13 01:33 AM
2807887, He was subbing in Reagan for a while there
Posted by Call It Anything, Fri May-24-13 05:04 PM