Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIggy Azalea responds to Uncle Brad's comments on race and hip-hop (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2802002
2802002, Iggy Azalea responds to Uncle Brad's comments on race and hip-hop (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu May-02-13 07:26 PM
don't know if dude presented the question wrong but I think she missed the point Scarface was making http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mjrWRwCYxRs
2802006, RE: she stupid ...hiphop is black
Posted by aolhater, Thu May-02-13 07:31 PM
2802014, yea...dude presented the question wrong
Posted by DolphinTeef, Thu May-02-13 07:42 PM
not gunna listen to her for 15 mins tho

also, it's interesting hearing her fight her accent
2802026, this shit is a mess
Posted by Apollo Kid, Thu May-02-13 08:22 PM
face's words will be contorted by the media and presented to a bunch of white rappers without context all for the sake of having something to talk about
2897424, well said Iggy
Posted by Peabody, Tue Aug-19-14 07:27 PM
nm
2897437, You don't get to respond.
Posted by SP1200, Tue Aug-19-14 08:38 PM
2897439, White people get so mad about being reminded
Posted by realityrap, Tue Aug-19-14 08:55 PM
That hip hop culture is black/brown culture
2897551, Yep....
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Aug-20-14 04:14 PM
I reminded a white Kat on these very boards(the Lesson) of that fact once a few years back and dude's feelings got hurt. Dude even cowardly made a reference to it in GD.

Shit was hilarious and tragic at the same damn time.

2897442, we're going off track but..........
Posted by jeanlouis61, Tue Aug-19-14 10:04 PM
hip hop is a universal culture that white people have had a hand in as artists, b-boys, producers, djs and execs from the beginning.....

Black artists who think that being 15% of America and getting most of their concert ticket and album sales from white people will not inspire white people to rap are stupid. if you say "hip hop is getting white" and its not in the context of what scarface was talking, u r dumb. Hip hop is by all people for all people. white artists like Em who carry on the history and show love to the people that came before them are fine in my book. Action Bronson is a walking advertisement for the history of wutang, while black artists(some) dont show love to people that came five years before them and start stupid twitter beefs with older artists. Even a Kid Rock interview is filled with his love for black hip hop artists from way back.

the record labels who put artists like G Rap and Rakim in some isolation even though they can still rap, and radio stations who dont show love to older artists by not at least spitting some history lesson now and then are the culprits.

2897471, too bad that aint what scarface said tho
Posted by howardlloyd, Wed Aug-20-14 07:16 AM
we talking about appropriation and exploitation..cultural imperialism if you will

the imperialists then extract the most salable aspects of the culture (when you dealing with black culture the most salable aspects will always be the stereotype... quests 5 type of celebrity blacks come to mind) and promotes and markets these images to the world and unfortunately the BABIES of hip hops creators look at and define themselves through the eyes of white imperialists.

most white ppl are only willing to accept stereotypical images of black folks.just go read some of the comments under any mike brown story.

so as it moved to BE FOR WHITE PPL... these are the ramifications.

scarface is 100% right
2897480, RE: too bad that aint what scarface said tho
Posted by jeanlouis61, Wed Aug-20-14 09:11 AM
he is saying that they are, like you said, making us look like buffoons while deflating creativity and consciousness while leaving glowing messages to white folk.....what i am saying is that people read the description or half listen and think that its the fault of em and mack and not the labels and stations

2897565, Correction: HipHop is a Black Culture that is universal.
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Aug-20-14 06:26 PM
>>hip hop is a universal culture that white people have had a hand in as artists, b-boys, producers, djs and execs from the beginning.....<<

Refer to the *correction above.

This is the part that a lot of non-Blacks don't understand:

Rightfully acknowledging and paying homage to HipHop as a Black cultural art-form doesn't mean, in and of itself, that non-Blacks can't enjoy, participate in, and contribute to it.
Don't know why that fact is so hard to understand.

-HipHop is a direct offspring of the African rhythm & dance traditions/aesthetics imported and culminated in the Americas through rigorously oppressive conditions-
(More specifically, a symbiotic cultural cross-pollenation of Afro-American, Afro-Latin, and Afro-Carribean elements and the subsequent *synthesis of these elements)

^ ^ ^That is a fact!

Whether non-Blacks were present at HipHop's inception to bare witness to, be influenced by, and residually re-contribute to it via their initial contact with the African rhythm/dance aesthetic is inconsequential when speaking of the originators/progenitors of this cultural art-form.

-Pay Homage-

In layman's terms:
If -I- invent something and -you're- there to witness it, *YOU don't get any executive credit as an originator of what *I invented.

And that's exactly what a lot of naive white people have the culturally-unintelligible misfortune of doing all the time:

"Oh...well uhhmm...HipHop isn't a Black artform because white people were there to witness it at the beginning"...

http://i.minus.com/ism2hTbv84OsS.gif
Nope! Doesn't work like that.

When non-Blacks begin to grasp this in its greater culturally macrocosmic context, taking into account the tumultuous antagonistic waters that our African-rhythm/dance-traditions had to resiliently endure, it is then and ONLY then that non-Blacks will gain an even DEEPER appreciation, love, understanding, and *respect for this art-form of *ours.

Muthafukkaz need ta do the knowledge....

2897590, Let em know!
Posted by realityrap, Wed Aug-20-14 09:20 PM
2897597, saying that blacks own hip hop......
Posted by jeanlouis61, Wed Aug-20-14 10:35 PM

is still silly. did they create it, and have a thorough history in in its beginnings and present? yes.

is it criminal what white labels and stations are doing to promote black buffoons and drown black kings and queens who raise the artform? yes.

it is also an artform that we have spread to japan, germany, india and countless other countries who, while paying respect to the inspiration, have their own assortment of artists who mostly not black. this is why i say its a universal culture, but I KNOW that it is an artform created by blacks.

2897603, Calling it what it is isn't silly. DENYING what it is IS silly.
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Wed Aug-20-14 11:19 PM
Thats like saying,...

- "Calling Wing Chun a Chinese art is silly"

- "Calling Kenjutsu a Japanese art is silly"

- "Calling Tang Soo Do a Korean art is silly"

- "Calling Yoga an Indian art is silly"

All of these *cultural arts have spread worldwide, yet that doesn't change what they are regardless of any out-group interpretation/misinterpretation.

Such is the same with HipHop.

Using the same matrix above...

- "Calling HipHop a Black art ISN'T silly". Its original application doesn't get re-purposed/re-appropriated merely because its gained worldwide popularity. It is STILL what it IS.

You need to do the knowledge, Black.

2897822, RE: Calling it what it is isn't silly. DENYING what it is IS silly.
Posted by jeanlouis61, Thu Aug-21-14 11:53 PM
in that context you are right, but black people dont OWN it.

2897462, She doesn't need to stop making hip hop.
Posted by denny, Wed Aug-20-14 03:42 AM
She needs to stop pretending to be black when she records and performs. It's offensive. Rap with your accent and mannerisms....not with someone else's. That's a characterization....not self-expression.
2897510, you want her to go back to this?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Wed Aug-20-14 11:35 AM
http://youtu.be/IosP8iSnwNk

(lol)
2897538, RE: you want her to go back to this?
Posted by double 0, Wed Aug-20-14 02:31 PM
that video came out AFTER she got a deal Bro..

Remember THIS is what got her on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As-05Gnihcw

They tried "and failed" at singing only when they thought that the rap world wasnt going to accept shit on a larger level..
2897539, Ah well... I didn't know that.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Wed Aug-20-14 02:35 PM
>They tried "and failed" at singing only when they thought that
>the rap world wasnt going to accept shit on a larger level..

I only saw that other video after she had already been out for a while and she looked slightly younger (and less steatopygous) in it, so I assumed it came before.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I remember for that period after "Pu$$y" when they were trying to break her in Europe and she mentioned she was doing some techno stuff... I'd thought she meant like rapping over techno or something closer to like Azealia Banks or something. I guess this is what they were doing.
2897548, RE: Ah well... I didn't know that.
Posted by double 0, Wed Aug-20-14 03:22 PM
Yea..

I think they were trying all kinds of stuff.. I mean shit... to think THIS coulda been Fancy http://youtu.be/gWcYOz2fpMk?t=38s
2897572, though when you think about it
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Wed Aug-20-14 07:16 PM
this does kinda lend credence to the allegations that she is a project that the label had determined was going to happen by any means necessary.
2897573, IKR?
Posted by denny, Wed Aug-20-14 07:19 PM
And it looks like they hit the jackpot when they decided to indulge further in black stereotypes. Probly brought in a 'slang coach' and everything. I find it disgusting and I've never been one to put down eminem or vanilla ice or snow. She's a fraud.
2897578, RE: though when you think about it
Posted by double 0, Wed Aug-20-14 08:06 PM
Nope had dinner with her A&R last night.... He said the label had zero faith the project would work... especially in the states..

She actually didn't want fancy on the album at all.. was some last minute decision that worked

But once Fancy dropped the fans really connected and ran with it... I mean the topic is pretty universal for most young chicks (and gay dudes) to get behind..

In between Pussy and Fancy she's had damn near 10 singles that really didnt POP but they built a solid enough fan base that when Fancy hit.. it was a wrap

You guys really gotta understand.. this is NEVER an exact game. You can plan all kindsa shit that doesn't work or throw some shit at the wall and it sticks..

All you CAN focus on his having a tight team that can make things happen.. and Turn First Artists (her management) has been BEASTING..
2897583, But how many artists get as much rope as she did?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Wed Aug-20-14 08:37 PM
They gave her MAD chances and kept on pumping that bubble till it broke.
2897584, RE: But how many artists get as much rope as she did?
Posted by c71, Wed Aug-20-14 08:41 PM
>They gave her MAD chances and kept on pumping that bubble
>till it broke.

And now they paid.

Mission Accomplished
2897745, RE: But how many artists get as much rope as she did?
Posted by double 0, Thu Aug-21-14 04:51 PM
She didn't cost them much...

Everything you see.. videos.. red carpets etc.. was leveraged by management through sponsorship, licensing etc...

Same thing with Thicke (Remy Martin paying for Blurred lines) and Rihanna (Nike, Samsung, CoverGirl) and everyone else.. These labels arent spending like you think they are until radio play is involved.

I mean in the end think about ALL the other artists on Universal now that have done literally nothing and are still signed.

2897469, She's just very naive...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Aug-20-14 06:50 AM
Especially when she asks a question like "Why would you want to segregate
cultures and races and things like this?"
Such a loaded question, Iggy. Look at the history of America (and the history
of this land before it was called "America"). There was a time during the early
part of the century when we were thriving in many ways. One of the biggest
examples is Black Wall Street which destroyed by white folks by dynamite from
a plane, because they ain't wanna see black folks thriving. We buy into the
illusion of inclusion only to STILL be getting murdered in the streets like animals
(Mike Brown, John Crawford III, Eric Garner, the list goes on).

Beyond that though, and more to the point, our inventions have been taken
for CENTURIES. Understand? Centuries. Ask yourself why a black man would
be drawing BLUEPRINTS for the likes of Bell and Edison. How can anyone do that
except the inventor? Nobody wanna tell you we created mathematics and
taught Aristotle and them. Or that all the Holy images were black until the pope
made Michaelangelo paint a European version of them. People lightening the
skin of the people in hieroglyphics. Why? Because they don't want you do know
we invented this shit. And people can yell "It doesn't matter who invented
it or what they looked like!" If that's the case, then why are they going
through so much trouble to pretend we didn't invent it? That's the real issue.
More recently, they don't want you do know we invented Rock & Roll. Next
is Hip Hop. We're just tired of that. However, if you get enough black folks
who don't give a shit like a "BrooklynWHAT" for instance, it'll be easy to do.
There is a very obvious agenda against black folks and our inventions and
contributions to the world... at least against our getting credit for them, and
it continues.
If black people buy into this idea that it doesn't matter and "we are all one"
rhetoric, it just makes it much easier to enact this agenda that has always
been present and remains present today.
2897472, ding ding ding
Posted by howardlloyd, Wed Aug-20-14 07:26 AM
we have a winner
2897514, should've responded like the dude who made "criminals gone wild"...
Posted by febreeze, Wed Aug-20-14 11:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au38PyH9J7k&t=5m48s
2897544, lofl. hilarious
Posted by astralblak, Wed Aug-20-14 02:54 PM
2897546, I can't stop laughing!!
Posted by Laz aka Black Native, Wed Aug-20-14 03:01 PM
2897568, Hip-Hop takes an L for her name even being in the same sentence as Face
Posted by Anonymous, Wed Aug-20-14 06:56 PM