Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectChance the Rapper- Acid rap mixtape
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2801396
2801396, Chance the Rapper- Acid rap mixtape
Posted by Menphyel7, Tue Apr-30-13 03:54 PM
One of the best new rappers to hit the scences...def will be next up..this is 2nd mixtape but all the reviews have loved. All the leak tracks have been fire so I"m hoping good things.

http://batshare.com/w59lbzi5xevn

2801411, here the link to the offical site
Posted by Menphyel7, Tue Apr-30-13 04:51 PM
Chanceraps.com
2801425, that two-part "pusha man" track is sick.
Posted by Guinness, Tue Apr-30-13 05:28 PM
2801446, yep that shit is fie
Posted by Menphyel7, Tue Apr-30-13 07:01 PM
2801449, I thought the mp3 was corrupt when the 1st part stopped
Posted by mrshow, Tue Apr-30-13 07:11 PM
2801466, shit is fantastic!
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Apr-30-13 08:45 PM
i haven't made it past that song yet.
2801863, this song is fucn great
Posted by astralblak, Thu May-02-13 11:27 AM
2801430, You know what... I can tell this dude LOVES music.
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Tue Apr-30-13 05:52 PM
This ain't just some shit he picked up to be cool or just because
everybody else was doing it. The way he crafts his songs isn't
some run-of-the-mill shit.
He's spittin' like crazy, he can be incredibly melodic or straight
spit, and the nigga can actually sing while he playin'. And these
beats he's rapping over are heavy on musicality while still being
fresh. This my new favorite rapper for real.
2801450, This is great
Posted by Goose, Tue Apr-30-13 07:23 PM
in a couple of years dude is going to be a star.
2801479, That's Love!
Posted by Stadium Status, Tue Apr-30-13 09:21 PM
Listening through now...not too much hitting with me but the That's Love interlude is great. Thought the Pusha Man track was a bad Kendrick impression
2801484, RE: That's Love!
Posted by Stadium Status, Tue Apr-30-13 09:30 PM
And then tracks 8-10 are all dope...this kid has my attention
2801480, Everybody's Something is connecting with a nicca at the moment
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Apr-30-13 09:25 PM
the slum sample is dope
2801870, that shit is beautiful
Posted by Menphyel7, Thu May-02-13 11:42 AM
2801877, easily 1 of the best songs i've heard over the past 6 months
Posted by astralblak, Thu May-02-13 11:55 AM
the interpolation of the SV sample, Chance's lyrics, the mood, all phenomenal.
2801487, Love it
Posted by mrshow, Tue Apr-30-13 09:36 PM
Better than 10 Day. I didn't even have to skip over the Childish Gambino verse.
2801490, yep he def steeped up from 10Day
Posted by Menphyel7, Tue Apr-30-13 09:49 PM
10Day was raw he is def more polished and focus on here
2801492, gonna have to get past the voice
Posted by beatnik, Tue Apr-30-13 09:55 PM
remind me of wayne then i start trying to compare em, but dude is nice

*edit*

Everybody's Something. . . WHEW! I'll hush now

2801797, How long did it take you to get over this...
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Thu May-02-13 05:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFg6OdORJcQ#t=0m25s
2803425, ^^serves ace
Posted by okaybowler, Tue May-07-13 05:57 PM
2806800, I've for sure felt like Chance sounds like them/him
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon May-20-13 08:05 PM
2801519, his voice was really grating, but overall nice little mixtalbum
Posted by astralblak, Wed May-01-13 01:29 AM
lost and everybody's got something are very NICE

glad i downloaded 3.5/5
2801798, You mean like this...
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Thu May-02-13 05:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFg6OdORJcQ#t=0m25s
?
2801992, updates database: brought up pharcyde / imani when
Posted by astralblak, Thu May-02-13 06:23 PM
TAlking about annoying voices... NIGGA NO

But I see you stanning in here for Chance, so do ur thang. But I'll admit this, after 4 listens now, he voice no longer bothers me and I'm compelled to speak very highly of his ear for melody while rapping and singing. Pusha Man, Somebody's Everything, Lost and Nana are great fucn rap songs. It's really really growing on me from enjoyable listen to borderline great
2802015, RE: updates database: brought up pharcyde / imani when
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu May-02-13 07:42 PM
>I'll admit this, after 4 listens now, he voice no longer
>bothers me and I'm compelled to speak very highly of his ear
>for melody while rapping and singing. Pusha Man, Somebody's
>Everything, Lost and Nana are great fucn rap songs. It's
>really really growing on me from enjoyable listen to
>borderline great

i'm right with you on that. damn near word for word
2802032, The point is his voice is just high and neither are annoying
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Thu May-02-13 08:55 PM
IMO.
We were just young when Pharcyde dropped. More rappers had high
voices like that back then actually (probably another reason Pharcyde
didn't catch anybody off guard). So much so, that it's weird to me
to see people attribute it to Lil Wayne. Either way, it's cool
that his talent being recognized. That's wassup.

>But I'll admit this, after 4 listens now, he voice no longer
>bothers me and I'm compelled to speak very highly of his ear
>for melody while rapping and singing. Pusha Man, Somebody's
>Everything, Lost and Nana are great fucn rap songs. It's
>really really growing on me from enjoyable listen to
>borderline great
2802185, fair points
Posted by astralblak, Fri May-03-13 11:20 AM
2802865, Q-tip has a high voice
Posted by beatnik, Mon May-06-13 09:14 AM
but that nigga dont sound like tip, he sound like wayne lol

but the voice is no longer a problem and that tape is great.
2801523, A few listens in and it's very strong
Posted by mrshow, Wed May-01-13 02:01 AM
All of the guests work and the production is top-notch. He seems to be moving further into singing-rapping hybrid style. Im liking how many of these new rappers are able to be "lyrical" and also do quality hooks.
2801524, Suntimes article (link)
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Wed May-01-13 02:13 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/19796381-421/chance-the-rapper-continues-his-artistic-climb-with-acid-rain.html
Chance the Rapper continues his artistic climb with ‘Acid Rain’
April 29, 2013 8:21PM

Chance the Rapper, “Acid Rap” ★★★½

One of the most difficult feats in hip-hop is the ability to create a fully cohesive project. Rising Chicago artist Chance the Rapper did that on his debut, “10 Day.” With “Acid Rap,” his follow-up mixtape, he proves it was no fluke as his latest adds to the composite picture of Chance as an artist and a person.

“Acid Rap” picks up where his debut left off, as the lead track, “Good Ass Intro,” starts off with a familiar blend of soul-and-juke aesthetics that have become Chance’s calling card. The track also is completely Chicago, with production from his go-to team of Peter CottonTale and Stefan Ponce blending with the sultry sounds of Lili K and Kiara Lanier and vocals by BJ the Chicago Kid. With horns, thoughtful lyrics and a throbbing bass, it’s obvious why Pitchfork Media recently named it as a “Best New Track.”

Other standouts are “Cocoa Butter Kisses” with Vic Mensa of Kids These Days and produced by CottonTale & Cam Osteen, and the title track, “Acid Rain,” produced by Jake One.

“Cocoa Butter Kisses” slows things down, with CottonTale’s instrumental production setting the stage for Chance and Mensa’s love of tobacco. As Chance, who often is pictured with a cigarette dangling from his lips, raps on the intro, it’s difficult to know if he even manages to take a breath. Mensa, a longtime friend and a fellow Save Money member, also provides a preview of his “Innanet Tape,” due in June.

Chance also gets introspective, commenting on his relationship with Mensa (“I still get jealous Vic/And Vic still jealous of me”), carrying the torch for Chicago (“Took the team up off my back, like that’s not your jersey”) and his drug use (“I trip to make the fall shorter.”).

“Chance paints a picture with his songwriting,” said CottonTale in an interview with the Sun-Times. “It’s very personal and relatable at the same time.”

“Acid Rap” could well be the biggest hip-hop release to come out of the city since Kanye West’s “College Dropout.” Fortunately, it lacks any semblance of West’s attitude or cockiness.

— Jake Krzeczowski
2801584, cool article...Im guessing they mean debut
Posted by Menphyel7, Wed May-01-13 10:49 AM
With that college dropout reference
2801591, dude sounds like a mix between homeboy sandman and danny brown
Posted by Benedict the Moor, Wed May-01-13 11:22 AM
not a fan of rappers doing the whole 'weird oscillating voice' thing, i prefer straight spitting. Though I will say he definitely has an ear and can write hooks.
I look forward to his growth over the years.
2803169, i was thinking childish gambino and danny brown
Posted by amplifya7, Mon May-06-13 09:47 PM
but better than both (IMO, not a DB fan)
2801596, His voice is the strongest part of his arsenal
Posted by Mash_Comp, Wed May-01-13 11:59 AM
Then he got rhymes, then he got hooks, plus he understands how to make himself part of the production...the beats don't carry him, he carries the beat...he blends in well.
2801633, ^^^gets it
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Wed May-01-13 01:27 PM
>Then he got rhymes, then he got hooks, plus he understands
>how to make himself part of the production...the beats don't
>carry him, he carries the beat...he blends in well.
2802181, all this
Posted by Small Pro, Fri May-03-13 11:16 AM
2801599, lots of talent from a 20 yr old.
Posted by RandomFact, Wed May-01-13 12:00 PM
i'm a fan.
2801825, hypebeasts, we know about ya
Posted by atruhead, Thu May-02-13 08:32 AM
2801872, Coca Butter kisses could be a hit that shit smooth as hell
Posted by Menphyel7, Thu May-02-13 11:43 AM
2802030, Billboard article (swipe)
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Thu May-02-13 08:48 PM
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/1560127/chance-the-rapper-talks-acid-rap-mixtape-navigating-major-labels
Chance the Rapper Talks 'Acid Rap' Mixtape & Navigating Major Labels
By Reggie Ugwu, N.Y. | May 01, 2013 1:03 PM EDT
"My plan is to get in people’s face as hard as Chief Keef did, possibly harder." – Chance the Rapper

In high school, Chance the Rapper was the kid with the backpack full of CDs, hustling in hallways, foisting his latest mixtape on unsuspecting classmates. Now he plays coy in meetings with major labels, biding his time while big numbers and grand schemes are discussed casually over pizza. His newest mixtape, "Acid Rap," has been downloaded an estimated 50,000 times (including DatPiff and chanceraps.com numbers) since it's release yesterday (Tuesday, April 30). But even before then the emergent rapper from Chicago had already flown to New York and L.A. at the behest of Columbia, Republic, Def Jam, RCA, Atlantic, Interscope, Shady and Capitol, amongst others. In Austin during SXSW, where he was tapped by Red Bull to perform a showcase, Lyor Cohen reached out.

"I don't really like meetings, I like recording and performing music," says Chance, born Chancelor Bennett, 20. "But I need to set myself up for when the time does come that I need better distribution or just a bigger team behind me."

Team Chance as it stands today is small but fierce and shrewdly effective. It includes his manager, Pat Corcoran, 23, a level-headed former promoter and blogger in Chance's Chicago-based Save Money collective; publicist Dan Weiner, who also represents Donald Glover and started working Chance for free after seeing him at SXSW in 2012; and superstar CAA agent Cara Lewis, who added Chance to a roster that includes Kanye West and Eminem among others.

"Me and Chance have always had a chip on our shoulder like ‘We can do this and it doesn’t take much, just don’t be an idiot," says Corcoran, who started working with Chance in April of last year after the release of his first solo mixtape "#10Day." "Dan and Cara have been kind of like our insiders. They’ve been amazing while we get to know people and figure out what’s right for us."

Weiner put Chance on tour with Glover, a.k.a. Childish Gambino, in May 2012. In July, Chance, who has a penchant for arresting shifts in vocal tone and cadence, landed a standout appearance on the Gambino's own hit mixtape "Royalty."

"Chance is easy to make songs with because he's talented and fun to be around — it's like hanging with your little cousin," Glover says. "When he opened for us, I always heard people going nuts. You don't see a lot of rap acts, especially young acts, that can perform on that level. "

Glover wasn't the only one who was impressed by Chance's feverish live show. In August, he and Corcoran had their first meeting with Lewis, who instantly became smitten. They spoke for an hour-and-a-half and she came on-board 10 minutes after the meeting. The first major labels started calling when news of her involvement got out.

"An emerging artist today can be a superstar tomorrow, but they have to have certain qualities," Lewis says, explaining how Chance won her over. "Chance is extremely charismatic and has an uncanny ability to connect with any audience. You can tell his heart and soul is in it."

At home in Chicago, Chance's support network includes his 15-year old little brother, Taylor, and the rest of the sprawling, multi-disciplinary Save Money crew. Save Money came together when most of the members were freshmen in high school and were performing individually at parties and open mic nights. It includes the rappers Kids These Days, Kami De Chukwu, Vic Mensa, Caleb James, Brian Fresco and Joey Purp; the producers Peter Cottontale, Nate Fox and Thelonius Martin; and in-house filmmaker Austin Vesely, who has directed nearly all of Chance's videos.

From the beginning, Chance's high school hustling bled into a broader business strategy that saw Chicago's close-knit youth community as its target. After finishing at Jones College Prep, he started something he called Save Money School Days, where he and Corcoran would visit schools around the city selling cheap tickets to Chance the Rapper shows and doing meet-and-greets with the students.

"We'd show up at some schools and they'd have the gym ready and make a PA announcement," says Corcoran. "Chance would sign posters and take pictures with all the kids and give hugs to the girls and stuff. It could get pretty crazy. A few times we were chased away by the cops."

This March, the youth strategy graduated to college campuses when Chance and Kids These Days embarked on the "March Madness Tour," which stopped at seven colleges over 10 days.

"I just turned 20, so the majority of time that I've made all of my music I've been a teenager," Chance says. "It just made sense that that would be the foundation. Everything we've done has been really grassroots."

As his star rises, the significance of what this means— speaking to and for kids in Chicago at this particular moment— is not lost on Chance. In 2011 he watched a close friend get stabbed to death in a flare of the city's pandemic violence. That incident, and countless others like it, haunt the "Acid Rap" track "Pusha Man," on which he breaks into a striking soliloquy.

"They merkin' kids, they murder kids here. Why don't they talk about it? They deserted us here."

"It's crazy how many people die here and how crucial it's about to be this summer," Chance says. " Keef put it in everybody's face and people didn't like it, but that's how it is. It affects everybody here personally. Motherfuckers that are 15 and 16 caught bodies already and that's not normal. So my plan is to put it in people's face as hard as Chief Keef did it, and possibly harder. Because if nobody talks about it, nothing gets done."

In the wake of "Acid Rap," Chance will continue to build in Chicago with a series of shows opening for Kendrick Lamar, Toro y Moi, Grimes and others. He hopes to venture out on his first major tour in June, culminating in a return to Chicago for Lollapalooza in August. The summer will indeed be crucial, but his crew is ready.
2802038, All Ive been listening to since it dropped
Posted by mrshow, Thu May-02-13 09:23 PM
2802135, I'm glad to see him getting so much love
Posted by Menphyel7, Fri May-03-13 09:19 AM
even niggaz ass niggaz I know like this its just good music.

I'm scared of when he get signed already lol...He could go so many ways
2802187, Acid Rain has become the new on repeat song
Posted by astralblak, Fri May-03-13 11:23 AM
moved my score upto a 4/5
2803388, This, NaNa, & Part Two of Pusha Man got my attention
Posted by jigga, Tue May-07-13 04:12 PM
Acid Rain really stands out tho
2802202, Spin is on the wagon (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri May-03-13 12:32 PM
http://www.spin.com/reviews/chance-the-rapper-acid-rap-mixtape/

Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap 8 of 10

May 2 2013, 1:36 PM ET by Brandon Soderberg

There are way too many ideas on Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap mixtape, but that's a good thing. Woozy, collage-like tracks don't stay one way for long, and lyrical conceits are held together by impulsive tangents and "woah, dude" thought experiments. On "Everybody's Something," a quasi-romantic though mostly real-talk evaluation of how and why we learn to care for one another, the 20-year-old Chicagoan mentions that God doesn't seem to answer his calls, imagines Jesus' Twitter account, wonders if he would even bother to follow that Twitter account, and while you're catching up with that Web 2.0 faith crisis, reminds you of his hometown's hallowed blues tradition. Then he zings the Rolling Stones for being mad late on co-opting that stuff.

His new mixtape's best moments gain their power from such good-idea/bad-idea indulgences and batty risk-taking. Nerdy, nostalgia-soaked highlights "Cocoa Butter Kisses" and "Acid Rain" shout out the color of his old Nickelodeon sing-along cassettes (bright orange) and some of his favorite childhood foods (grilled-cheese sandwiches, cut diagonally). Both tracks are backed by gasping, glowing beats that seem to be eating themselves from the inside. The most thrilling moments, though, come when Chance gets a chance to cartoonishly contort his voice, as on the angular "Juice" and the menacing marching-band freakout "Smoke Again"; Kendrick Lamar's rubbery cadence comes to mind, but Chance injects plenty of quirk and specificity. On the very good kid, m.A.A.d. city-like "Pusha Man," he naggingly gargles a schoolyard taunt, suggesting that the shit-talking dealer who think he's transgressive is really just a petulant child, but the track's second half diagnoses the brain-fried paranoia that comes with hustling, and affords some sympathy to that very same dealer. Moreover, those two halves are split by almost 20 seconds of complete silence, ratcheting up the tension, and also making it clear that Chance is entirely in control. His music will stop dead for nearly half a minute, if he wants it too.

But then, as if he's suddenly sobered up and realized he needs to get to the point, Chance unleashes a long rant about Chicago's crime rate and the resultant media apathy:

They murkin' kids
They murder kids here
Why you think they don't talk about it?
They deserted us here
Where the fuck is Matt Lauer at?
Somebody get Katie Couric in here
Probably scared of all the refugees
Look like we had a fuckin' hurricane here
And we shootin' whether it's dark or not
I mean the days, it's pretty dark a lot
Down here, it's easier to find a gun than it is to find a fuckin' parking spot
No love for the opposition
Specifically a cop position
Because they've never been in our position
Getting violations for the nation correlating you dry-snitchin'

Such an off-the-rails flow creates the sense that at any moment, a verse — or a full song, or the entire record — could crash and burn and overdose on audacity. It's the same anything-can-happen intensity that street-rap delivers, just more abstract, with a more worldly-wise sense of what matters. "Good Ass Intro" features the soulful voice of BJ the Chicago Kid alongside five other singers, backed by ghettotech-tinged juke, the wild local dance music that serves as a party-ready analogue for Chance's delivery: beats as lithe and manic as his raps. There is even a similar, beyond-words sense of escape to both juke dancing and Chance's free-as-a-bird rapping, where words' meanings become less important than the meditative, temporarily transcendent qualities of unhinged expression.

Certain kinds of rap jerks will inevitably set up a big dumb binary between Chance — 20 years old, from Chicago's South Side, and a wordy sing-song scat-rap yammerer; and Chief Keef — 17 years old, from Chicago's South Side, and a seething sing-song laconic mumbler. But don't buy into it (Chance even shouts out Keef on "Juice"). There is more than one way to vent your spleen on behalf of your seemingly forever-fucked city, and both approaches are vital. For Chance, it's an endless burst of wordplay, half-idyllic memories of youth, and sensitive-dude concerns aired out in a voice that invokes the somber squeak of Kendrick Lamar, the I'm-already-a-genius swagger of Kanye West, and a dick-swinging Lil Wayne at his most drugged-out.

It may be frustrating to immediately place him in the context of so many other, more established rappers, but the comparisons are there: Chance is a next-to-the-'hood, good-kid insider/outsider a little too willing to remind you that he's a good-kid insider/outsider, and that's pure Kanye and Kendrick. But at just 19, aspiring to compete with such ambitious rap visionaries, and mostly succeeding, is an impressive feat. Call him the anti-Keef, if it's the only way to make him matter to you. But more importantly, Chance the Rapper is a wide-eyed talent figuring out the world one deeply felt rap song at a time. That's why he matters.
2802886, this guy is a shit writer
Posted by Mash_Comp, Mon May-06-13 10:30 AM
2845070, LOL. yeah he is
Posted by astralblak, Wed Oct-02-13 11:35 AM
and hella butt hurt too
2802203, Stereogum too (link)
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Fri May-03-13 12:39 PM
http://stereogum.com/1338682/mixtape-of-the-week-chance-the-rapper-acid-rap/franchises/mixtape-of-the-week/

Mixtape of the Week: Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
May 1st '13 by Tom Breihan @ 3:03pm

Chance The Rapper is going to irritate the shit out of a lot of people. This is unavoidable. His voice is a pitched-up puberty-squeak, cracking and cackling and warbling all over tracks, never quite flowing even when it flows. And when he does lock into a straightforward rap cadence, he leaps out of it just as quickly, singing euphoric nonsense in a knowingly grating infantile jazz-scat thing. He’s an undeniably talented rapper, but the first time you hear his new mixtape Acid Rap — and you’re probably still on your first time, if that, since the thing is less than 24 hours old — you might have a whole lot of trouble hearing beyond that voice or the word-games that Chance loves to play. He’s arty, perma-stoned, all-over-the-place, desperate to stand out in a way that seems distinctly teenage even if you don’t know that Chance is, in fact, a teenager. But when Acid Rap starts to sink in, something that doesn’t take too long, it quickly becomes obvious that the mixtape, like Kendrick Lamar’s Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City, is a document of a furiously smart and talented young guy attempting to make sense out of a world that doesn’t make any sense. But unlike Kendrick, he’s not flashing back to his high-school years to dive into all of these questions; he’s figuring them out in real time in front of us.

Here’s Chance’s story: He’s 19, from Chicago’s South Side, the vast region of the city that’s turned depressingly apocalyptic in recent years. But he went to Jones College Prep, a prestigious high school in the city’s downtown, and spent enough time hanging out with white kids there that he now cites Jamiroquai as an influence. During his senior year, he was suspended from the school after getting caught smoking weed, and he started work on 10 Day, the 2012 mixtape that put him on the map. If that tape was the (tremendously endearing) dry-run, Acid Rap is the fully-formed introduction to the world, the complete and cohesive announcement that a rare and serious talent has arrived. On the tape, Chance favors sun-dazed jazz and soul samples as busy and cluttered as his own delivery, swollen bits of orchestral psychedelia that always hit from weird angles, like the way “Lost” producer Nate Fox chops up a frequently-used Willie Hutch sample just a bit more than usual, interrupting it enough to keep you on your toes.

Because of Chance’s verbosity and his musical aesthetic, people will want to paint him as a corrective to Chief Keef, his fellow South Side teenage rap phenom, and the drill music scene he represents. That’s wrong. Chance, in fact, shouts out Keef on “Juice,” Acid Rap‘s first single, just so that nobody will make that mistake. And he can get just as ignorant as Keef, in his own oblique way. In Acid Rap‘s most risible moment, he calls himself a “slaphappy faggot slapper”; he could’ve goddam well found something else to rhyme with “hacky sacker” and “cocky khaki jacket jacker.” And he spends a whole lot of time rapping about drugs and cigarettes with the head-blown fuzziness of someone so young that he hasn’t yet learned firsthand that drugs and cigarettes have a downside. Even so, though, he has more fun, and finds more interesting ways, to talk about drugs and cigarettes than just about any other rapper in recent memory. Like this line: “Lean on a square, that’s a fuckin’ rhombus.” He’s talking about dipping cigarettes in cough syrup, but he’s making a head-spinningly smart math-nerd pun out of it, constructing the punchline elegantly and economically but treating it like it’s a throwaway line. There are hundreds of tiny little word-games like that embedded deep in Acid Rap, and it’ll take me way more than a day to dig them all out.

But the most alive moments on Acid Rap come when he turns that word-drunk eloquence toward his stuck-in-the-middle situation, talking about being a smart and fundamentally decent kid trapped between poor black and rich white worlds, not quite sure where he fits in, like Michael Jackson in the “Bad” video. On “Everybody’s Something,” he gets deep into skin-tone identity crises: “I used to tell hoes I was dark light or off-white / But I’d fight if a nigga said that I talk white / And both my parents was black, but they saw it fit that I talk right / And my drawers here, but my head and my heart stayed in the clouds like a lost kite.” On “Cocoa Butter Kisses,” he’s lamenting lost innocence and wishing his elders would still look at him like a little kid even though he knows he’s doing stuff they’d hate: “Put Visine inside my eyes so that my grandma would fucking hug me.” On “Pusha Man,” he’s straightforward but sharp about the desolation around him: “They be shooting whether it’s dark or not / I mean, the days is pretty dark a lot / Down here, it’s easier to find a gun than it is to find a fucking parking spot.” Summer, that brief sliver of time where Chicago weather turns glorious before returning to hellish-barren-winterscape status quo, turns out to be the worst time of all: “It just got warm out, this the shit that I’ve been warned about / I hope that it storm in the morning, I hope that it’s pouring out / I hate crowded beaches, I hate the sound of fireworks / And I ponder what’s worse between knowing it’s over and dying first.”

Chance might get lumped in as an internet-rapper, and Acid Rap has a few contributions from products of the internet-rap zeitgaist: Ab-Soul telling potty jokes, Childish Gambino making “Harlem Shake” jokes, Action Bronson actually singing. But a big problem with internet-rap is that it loses the sense of place that’s always been so central to rap, and Acid Rap does not have that problem; it’s a Chicago record through and through. The orchestral-soul aesthetic put it in a lineage that runs through early Kanye West back through the Curtis Mayfield records that Kanye was sampling. At the end of “Acid Rain,” he sings R. Kelly’s “The World’s Greatest,” flipping them to turn them into straight gospel rather than implied gospel. The awkward lightspeed drum-stutters of footwork show up from time to time, especially on the album outro, where they rampage all over the expansive horns and pianos of the intro. And on “Cocoa Butter Kisses,” Chicago rap originator Twista shows up with a frankly jaw-dropping triple-time verse, cramming syllables in your ear way quicker than you can possibly process them. “When it come to fast-rapping, I’m like Higgs Boson,” says Twista, and yeah, pretty much. (He rhymes it with “Voltron.”)

So Chance is an internet guy and a Chicago guy, and both of those things are central to his identity. But more than either of those, he’s a razor-sharp rap dreamer, like Kendrick, like Earl Sweatshirt, like Andre 3000, like fellow Chicagoan Common Sense, like “I’m so high I could eat a cloud”-era Lil Wayne. And he’s fully willing to push his voice and his delivery to irritating extremes because a regular lead-footed rap style wouldn’t let him get as expressive as he needs to be. The best thing about the online mixtape explosion in recent years is that it’s emboldened rappers like Chance, kids with things to say, to push themselves as far as they need to go, because anything good enough, no matter how weird, will find an audience. Chance will find an audience, probably a huge one. He deserves one.
2802318, i'm just glad yall like my friend....
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Fri May-03-13 06:02 PM
lord knows i tried to put yall
fickle muhfuggas onto 10day.
instagram pic from 63 weeks ago
so you know it's real.....

http://instagram.com/p/G_yMpcpghZ/

save money.
normalmogs.
chicago.

~~~Tron~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2802362, Hey I was right there wit you 10Days was great
Posted by Menphyel7, Fri May-03-13 10:07 PM
I'm glad folks was catching on he has grown so much from 10 Days 2
2802827, RE: Hey I was right there wit you 10Days was great
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Mon May-06-13 12:22 AM
>I'm glad folks was catching on he has grown so much from 10
>Days 2

you've always been one of the more open minded
okps tho from my knowledge. not everybody
on here celebrates the greatness that is mannie fresh.

~~~riedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2802752, have you begun fellating him in public yet?
Posted by Ghetto Black, Sun May-05-13 04:55 PM
you have to work for kudos, boy!
2802824, RE: have you begun fellating him in public yet?
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Mon May-06-13 12:20 AM
>you have to work for kudos, boy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0

tip your bartenders everybody.

2802461, reminds me of Kendrick circa-OD
Posted by Nodima, Sat May-04-13 11:21 AM
in that there's a ton of ambition, all the talent is there and you can't front on it

but at the same time, the ideas don't feel polished off. I like Chance on this tape more than I liked Kendrick then, so I'm not trying to say that as a put down. But Kendrick went from a 3/5 tape with O.D. to a 4.5/5 album with S.80, and I think Chance could be that same type of artist.

Acid Rap feels more like a proof of concept more than an actual album, though. I can see why everyone is climbing over themselves to write this guy up.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2802542, yea this just feels like just the start but the start still banging
Posted by Menphyel7, Sat May-04-13 05:36 PM
Just to see how he grew from 10 Days til this is crazy
2802547, Yeah I agree with this a lot
Posted by blinded by the lights, Sat May-04-13 06:17 PM
Although I've never really been able to get into OD, but love everything else Kendrick has done.

I don't think Chance's ceiling is probably quite as high as Kendrick's, but his first two mixtapes barely have a dud on them so far IMO. If he gets a little more polish, he can definitely do big things.

I think the main comparison to Kendrick is that he can do anything he wants with rap. He can make huge bangers, be really introspective, make girl songs, etc., and none come off as corny or forced.
2802550, Much more entertaining than Kendrick, imo.
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Sat May-04-13 06:41 PM
And I say that as a Kendrick fan. People talk about how Kendrick
can't do commercial songs. I don't ever see Chance having that
problem... plus Chance just seems like a much more fun guy than
Kendrick.
2802727, People who say that about Kendrick either
Posted by astralblak, Sun May-05-13 03:19 PM
Have their heads up their asses or pigeon-holed him into their own rapper's rapper box

Swimming Pools and Poetic Justice are all over radio in Los Angeles. Those are not necessarily commericial or pop songs, but people only say that with todays ears. Before 2004 any type/genre a song could become pop if it gained traction, that's damn near impossible in today's climate and Kendrick was one of the few that broke that mold AND SOLD.

Also Kendrick is the closing verse one of the year's most popular song "Fucn Problems". Outside the lesson (where niggaz hate clubs and women), talkin bout Kendrick sounds "off" on it, he sounds just fine.

Chance is literally emerging from Drake and Kendrick's lanes, so to say that more interesting talk is just personal preference
2802753, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe Jay-Z remix too
Posted by Nodima, Sun May-05-13 05:11 PM
I gotta say for the first time in a while I'm actually kind of excited to get in my car to go to work without a working CD deck, because I'm almost guaranteed to hear one or two decent to very good songs on my drive right now. Haven't felt that way about radio in a minute.

clarify: in the midwest...I'm sure L.A. always has SOME kind of option even without KDAY.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2802834, Well of course it's personal preference. Hence the "imo", lol.
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Mon May-06-13 01:01 AM
But let the records also show that I didn't say "interesting".
I said "entertaining". He sounds (and looks) like he's having
a ton of fun doing this. Even his introspective shit has a bit
of a pep to it.
Also though,I don't see alotta people saying the "commercial" thing about
Chance, because his melodies are catchier and he delivers his rhymes in
a way that's more digestable to the average listener.
I don't see him as a product of Drake and Kendrick either. I see
him having a truckload of oldschool influence and trap rapper
melody sensibilities. He literally sounds like a cat who could have
rhymed with Souls Of Mischief to me... just happens to be born
in the year they had their biggest hit, lol.
2803159, we disagree. glad we both like him. no further comment
Posted by astralblak, Mon May-06-13 09:15 PM
2803402, fo sho
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Tue May-07-13 04:48 PM
2802728, co-sign
Posted by astralblak, Sun May-05-13 03:20 PM
2866078, Let's admit it took a couple of albums before Prince hit Purple Rain
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Jan-17-14 04:51 PM
And MJJ had an album before thriller.

We shouldn't expect our artist to be fully formed great artist on their first outings.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-
2802579, RE: Listening to it right now as Mayweather and Guerrero walk in
Posted by ppg_2311, Sat May-04-13 10:52 PM
I have been listening to it everyday for the whole week now. Sounds like a complete album if you ask me. I hope he can top it with his first official release. It's a wonderful thing to have so many 17, 19 year old kids in 2013 still doing rap on their own terms and at such a high, elite and artistic level and not forgetting to have fun. It looks like rap is far from dying. It may go on one more 10 year run, or more.

Come Barack ! (Hawuzwe !)
Nyamazana ! (Hawuzwe !)
Come Barack ! (Hawuzwe !)
Obama ! (Hawuzwe !)
2802607, this guy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kendrick
Posted by Reuben, Sun May-05-13 01:06 AM
true words yuh know ©
2804763, of COURSE he's better than Kendrick. successful rappers suck
Posted by atruhead, Sun May-12-13 07:51 AM
hipsters are the absolute worst
2807602, No.
Posted by Bombastic, Thu May-23-13 01:46 PM
2827639, stop.
Posted by shockzilla, Thu Aug-01-13 01:32 AM
2802612, eh this shit was already certified before it ever dropped
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun May-05-13 01:55 AM
it's dope though. all these media outlets throwing in their .02 cosign is hilarious to me.
2802826, RE: eh this shit was already certified before it ever dropped
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Mon May-06-13 12:21 AM
>it's dope though. all these media outlets throwing in their
>.02 cosign is hilarious to me.

i feel you, especially since 10 day got slept on by & large.

2802833, That's cool as long as the hype is deserved.
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Mon May-06-13 12:48 AM
And it definitely is.
2803077, Right?
Posted by Stadium Status, Mon May-06-13 05:15 PM
I never heard of this guy before last week and now he's a household name
2802747, 'tis cool...got some dope production too.
Posted by k0la, Sun May-05-13 04:36 PM
haven't listened thoroughly, but this kid has skills and the beats are pretty fire.
2803012, So Nosaj Thing produced the hidden track after Pusha Man
Posted by mrshow, Mon May-06-13 02:56 PM
http://yourstru.ly/videos/2013/05/06/chance-the-rapper-and-nosaj-thing-songs-from-scratch/
2803141, sickness
Posted by Small Pro, Mon May-06-13 08:05 PM
2803094, RE: Chance the Rapper- Acid rap mixtape
Posted by ajiav, Mon May-06-13 05:57 PM
thanks for putting me up on him, b/t this and the chi post
2803095, solid. who's got the production credits?
Posted by dafriquan, Mon May-06-13 06:01 PM
2803101, RE: solid. who's got the production credits?
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Mon May-06-13 06:14 PM
"good ass intro" - peter cottontale, stefan ponce & cam for j.u.s.t.i.c.e league
"pusha man" - ceej for two9, nosaj thing
"coca butter kisses" - cam for j.u.s.t.i.c.e league & stefan ponce
"juice" - nate fox
"lost" - nate fox
"everybody's something" - dj ozone
"interlude (that's love)" - ludwig goransson
"my favorite song" - nate fox
"nana" - brandun deshay
"smoke again" - blended babies
"acid rain" - jake one
"chain smoker" - nate fox
"everything's good" - cam for j.u.s.t.i.c.e league

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/8714992465_fd93b273ec_z.jpg

2803178, thanks. is this nate fox kid gonna be a problem on the boards?
Posted by dafriquan, Mon May-06-13 10:07 PM
he held it down.
i think chance is good but it's really the full package of beats and rhymes that make this such a compelling project,

>"good ass intro" - peter cottontale, stefan ponce & cam for
>j.u.s.t.i.c.e league
>"pusha man" - ceej for two9, nosaj thing
>"coca butter kisses" - cam for j.u.s.t.i.c.e league & stefan
>ponce
>"juice" - nate fox
>"lost" - nate fox
>"everybody's something" - dj ozone
>"interlude (that's love)" - ludwig goransson
>"my favorite song" - nate fox
>"nana" - brandun deshay
>"smoke again" - blended babies
>"acid rain" - jake one
>"chain smoker" - nate fox
>"everything's good" - cam for j.u.s.t.i.c.e league
>
>http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/8714992465_fd93b273ec_z.jpg
>
>~~~riedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2804756, yes he killed it
Posted by Menphyel7, Sun May-12-13 06:46 AM
he should be getting just as much shine as Chance is off this
2805710, Good lookin out
Posted by Ceej, Thu May-16-13 12:35 PM

>"pusha man" - ceej for two9, nosaj thing

>~~~riedy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2803392, who can deal with this guy's voice
Posted by fontgangsta, Tue May-07-13 04:23 PM
and not want to stick railroad nails in their temples?
i actually think hes a decent rapper and he's got a great ear for beats
but that fucking voice.
i can't get past it.
and i dont care to.
2803893, i'm gonna assume then you hate max b too.
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Thu May-09-13 12:27 AM

2804649, love this tape, even the Gambino feature works.
Posted by soulsupreme, Sat May-11-13 03:59 PM
"Paranoia" is my shit.

"Trapped in the middle of the map, with a little bitty rock, and a little bit of rap. That with a literary knack and a little shitty Mac and like literally jack, aaah!!! " - Chance The Rapper

"This is your world. Shape it or someone else will." - Gary Lew
2805312, He's talking some real shit in this MTV piece (LINK/SWIPE)
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Tue May-14-13 06:56 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1707326/chance-the-rapper-acid-rap-mixtape.jhtml
(video on the link)

May 14 2013 4:36 PM EDT 2,051
Chance The Rapper Remembers 'Talking White' And Fighting Black On Acid Rap
'I used to tell girls that I was mixed, which is a bold-faced lie," the Chicago rapper tells Mixtape Daily of his verse on "Everybody's Something."
By Nadeska Alexis (@neweryork)

Representing: Southside of Chicago

Mixtape: Acid Rap

Real Spit: Chance the Rapper laced his 13-track mixtape Acid Rap with nostalgic samples that evoke a sense of familiarity despite the freshness of the songs. But over those melodic beats, he also provides listeners with the opportunity to question themselves and popular discourse.

"I'm not really worried about co-signs or being accepted by the hip-hop community at this point," Chance tells MTV News. "My come-out record, 10 Day, was the thing people were supposed to hear and figure out 'he's good' or 'he's not good. Acid Rap is the comeback tape and it asks way bigger and better questions than 'Is he good at rapping?' It's an important project that people will listen to, gain insight on the world from, and ask themselves questions that need to be asked."

One of those thoughtful takeaways would be the extent to which racial stigmas still affect the interaction of youth in minority neighborhoods. It's a topic that Chancelor Bennett broaches on "Everybody's Something," a track which was inspired by his own experience growing up on the Southside of Chicago, and amplified by Lil Durk's musings about chopping off his dreads on the mixtape Life Ain't No Joke.

"Everybody's Something": "I used to tell h--s I was dark light or off white, but I'll fight if a n---a said that I talk white/ And both my parents was black but they saw it fit that I talk right/ With my drawers hid but my hard head stayed in the clouds like a lost kite."

Lyrical breakdown: "There's just this stigma of self-hatred the black community. People wanna say that they're part Native American or mixed, or anything other than black. We're raised to believe that there's something better about not being fully black, something eccentric about it. I'm saying I used to tell girls that I was mixed, which is a bold-faced lie! I'm light skinned and I used to lean on that because that's something a lot of black people pride themselves on and it's weird. I would even go lengths to lie and say that I'm mixed or biracial when in another light, I'd fight if a n----a said that I talked white.

"The idea of 'talking white,' a lot of people grew up around that, just the idea that if you speak with proper diction and come off as educated that it's not black and that it's actually anti-black and should be considered only something that white people would do. It's just a weird juxtaposition for someone who, growing up, was so into being of a higher class and aligning with light skinned or bi-racial people, but couldn't deal with the accusation of 'talking white.' I was knocking ni---s out quickly for that sh--.

Additional Joints to check for:
"Good Ass Intro" With its heavy acid jazz, gospel and Chicago juke music influence, "Good Ass Intro" is what Chance calls the most important track on the album. "It's the perfect thesis for who I am as an artist. The sample is actually a vocal sample from John Legend, buried really deep in there, from Kanye West's "Good Intro" on his Freshmen Adjustment 2 mixtape. I was listening to that a lot when I was finishing the tape and it's hard not to take something from Kanye because he's just a huge influence for anybody who makes music post 2004. Even in production the track mirrors Kanye's process; there's four producers including me, three trumpets, six vocalists — it's just a really big track."
2805711, Dam, his speaking voice is NOTHING like the rap
Posted by ErnestLee, Thu May-16-13 12:36 PM
2805801, EH its cool wouldn't listen to it more than twice
Posted by Musa, Thu May-16-13 07:50 PM
2806798, I'm officially riding for the lil homie
Posted by DVS, Mon May-20-13 07:57 PM
one of the most accessible mixtapes out that stays true to the essence of what Chicago is....to be coming from a youngster makes it even more impressive.

D
2807484, RE: I'm officially riding for the lil homie
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Wed May-22-13 11:21 PM
>one of the most accessible mixtapes out that stays true to
>the essence of what Chicago is....to be coming from a
>youngster makes it even more impressive.
>
>D

^^^^ gets it

2807604, it's alright, kinda gimmicky to me content/rhyme-wise, I like how
Posted by Bombastic, Thu May-23-13 01:53 PM
a couple of familiar loops got freaked/flipped but I don't know if I'll be playing this in a year.

Maybe I did too many psychedelics in my youth to be impressed by this albums nerd-rap-name-dropping of them.

I'd rather an album feel like tripping than be talking about it.

Dare Iz A Dark Side was a far better acid-rap album twenty years ago without most of its listeners even realizing.

It's fitting that Childish Gambino is on this, because dude gives me a bit of that same vibe (altho he's definitely less annoying).
2807616, yeah I'm confused at how much praise this is getting...
Posted by Stadiq, Thu May-23-13 03:05 PM

Dude is talented for sure, and a lot of this is very enjoyable...

but I agree it comes across very gimmicky. For instance those distracting a$$ adlib noises he makes through out the whole thing are grating and sound like

hmmmm

a Chappelle skit?

And even the great moments don't have that much replay value.

Not saying its a bad tape, but smh at people saying outlandish sh!t like >>>>>> Kendrick

Guess the new thing to do is try and knock Kendrick off his spot? Sometimes for no reason other than to simply do it?

Its like those same folks who tried to convince others and themselves that Ab Soul >>>> Kendrick....

Some type of wierd backlash from his acclaim I guess?

Resounding NO on both.
2807632, RE: yeah I'm confused at how much praise this is getting...
Posted by Bombastic, Thu May-23-13 03:39 PM
>
>Dude is talented for sure, and a lot of this is very
>enjoyable...
>
>but I agree it comes across very gimmicky. For instance those
>distracting a$$ adlib noises he makes through out the whole
>thing are grating and sound like
>
>hmmmm
>
>
>a Chappelle skit?
>
>
>
>And even the great moments don't have that much replay value.
>
>
>Not saying its a bad tape, but smh at people saying outlandish
>sh!t like >>>>>> Kendrick
>
>Guess the new thing to do is try and knock Kendrick off his
>spot? Sometimes for no reason other than to simply do it?
>
>
>Its like those same folks who tried to convince others and
>themselves that Ab Soul >>>> Kendrick....
>
>Some type of wierd backlash from his acclaim I guess?
>
>Resounding NO on both.

exactly.
2816842, RE: yeah I'm confused at how much praise this is getting...
Posted by Mash_Comp, Fri Jun-28-13 09:00 PM
>Its like those same folks who tried to convince others and
>themselves that Ab Soul >>>> Kendrick....
>

I really do like Ab-Soul better than Kendrick and I found them both at the same time
2809776, Chance signed with TDE if twitter is to believed
Posted by mrshow, Sun Jun-02-13 08:02 PM
Jhene Aiko too.
2810866, no he didn't
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Wed Jun-05-13 08:01 PM

2845250, they are currently in negotiations...
Posted by ChampD1012, Thu Oct-03-13 07:14 AM
2816821, Anyone check out the rest of the Save Money crew?
Posted by mrshow, Fri Jun-28-13 05:23 PM
The Dally Auston and Brian Fresco tapes are pretty good.
2816846, RE: Anyone check out the rest of the Save Money crew?
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Fri Jun-28-13 09:43 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure vic mensa's new mixtape is
gonna put them over the top once that drops.

and this compliation by fakeshoredrive is a good
jump off point for any fan, new or old....

http://www.fakeshoredrive.com/2013/05/mixtape-save-money-the-best-of-save-money.html/

2827627, AOTY so far for me, with MCHG right behind it
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Aug-01-13 12:24 AM
and RTJ in third.
2827642, It's up there
Posted by mrshow, Thu Aug-01-13 01:39 AM
2827677, yep
Posted by Menphyel7, Thu Aug-01-13 08:01 AM
2827690, Agreed on Chance but Jay is nowhere in the running
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Aug-01-13 08:31 AM
that album is half baked as hell.
2827819, pretty much
Posted by LiquidSwords3000, Thu Aug-01-13 11:50 AM

2827644, RE: Chance the Rapper- Acid rap mixtape
Posted by stone_phalanges, Thu Aug-01-13 02:30 AM
I like this. I'm not losing my mind over it like some others but I has grown on me significantly since I first listened to it. Why is some of the best hip hop free. Do indie rock bands put out free mixtapes before they get big 'cuz if so someone needs to hip me to those blogs.
2827645, Everybody's Something (Official Video)
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Thu Aug-01-13 02:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gctf0n8b3F4
2844898, hella late to the party ...
Posted by Amritsar, Tue Oct-01-13 08:41 PM
but this kid has that IT factor

knows exactly what beats he sounds good on (and maybe more importantly, what beats he does not)

definitely going back and checking out his earlier shit now

2845045, better late than never
Posted by Menphyel7, Wed Oct-02-13 10:41 AM
2844946, All that Nah nah nah shit kills the replay value. He gotta lose that shit.
Posted by Kid Ray, Tue Oct-01-13 11:18 PM
First listen I thought it was dope, but by the third listen I was annoyed. He is good overall he just need to drop that corny nah nah nah all over the songs.
2844984, i happen to LOVE that shit
Posted by justin_scott, Wed Oct-02-13 01:54 AM
very sing songy (at least to me)
2845055, agreed, i dig it too
Posted by astralblak, Wed Oct-02-13 11:21 AM
its youthful and irreverent and kinda mocks the older head serious attitude
2845222, Can't get over it. Ruins the songs for me. He's good until he does that.
Posted by Kid Ray, Wed Oct-02-13 11:25 PM
2845071, LOL @ myself in this post
Posted by astralblak, Wed Oct-02-13 11:40 AM
i went form its cool, his voice kinda annoying though

to his voice don't bother me no more, and its very good

to this is great... (still my AOTY, by the way)

SMDH. i been having this schizo back and forth with all kinds of artist and albums as of late. i wonder if it has to do with my age and the glut of music on the internet
2845143, Chance is kinda like that though
Posted by blinded by the lights, Wed Oct-02-13 04:21 PM
I remember hearing Juice months before Acid Rap came out, thinking 'this dude genuinely sounds sort of down syndrome, but I don't hate it', not really wanting to give it another try and forgot who he was by the time Acid Rap dropped. By my third listen of Acid Rap it was AOTY.
2845079, When this came out, I was super stuck on it...
Posted by Crash85, Wed Oct-02-13 11:47 AM
Dude is spittin... Lost, Cocoa Butter Kisses and Good Ass Intro are my shit!
2845100, Still the rap project from 2013 I play the most
Posted by CMcMurtry, Wed Oct-02-13 12:28 PM
If I were to make a best of 2013 list at this point, I'd put Kanye and Earl above this, but I play this most, pretty much from start to finish, so perhaps I need to rethink that.
2859761, chance is on justin biebers new single
Posted by justin_scott, Thu Dec-05-13 02:04 PM
is he gonna pull an andre and make me listen to some bullshit because his verse is so damn dope? hopefully it gets chance some more shine tho
2859771, never went looking for a justin beiber song...
Posted by ChampD1012, Thu Dec-05-13 02:38 PM
but i want to hear the verse...damn it...

But seeing this means he's getting mainstream status...
2859818, I know right he has blown up doing him such a breathe of fresh air
Posted by Menphyel7, Thu Dec-05-13 07:25 PM
to think 10 Days came out last year
2859832, Glad I bought tix for his SF show already....
Posted by Crash85, Thu Dec-05-13 08:23 PM
Dude is gonna be huge....
2859819, RE: Chance the Rapper- Acid rap mixtape
Posted by dppmllc, Thu Dec-05-13 07:25 PM
The mixtape was good but he's gonna fall off now cuz of all the hype he got. I'm not saying his career is done but as far as the artist he was when he first came out compared to who he will be now is way different. Same with Vic Mensa
2859833, Ok.
Posted by Madvillain 626, Thu Dec-05-13 08:36 PM
2859836, Huh??
Posted by Crash85, Thu Dec-05-13 08:54 PM
>The mixtape was good but he's gonna fall off now cuz of all
>the hype he got. I'm not saying his career is done but as far
>as the artist he was when he first came out compared to who he
>will be now is way different. Same with Vic Mensa

OH NO! You mean, he won't be the same artist forever???

except for the fact he can still rap and make dope songs... and as long as he can do that, he'll be good...
2859895, dude acting like they both got multi millions all of a sudden
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Dec-06-13 07:24 AM
esp vic mensa. dude is no where fucking near chance's popularity, not even with chance being his best friend.
2859989, Classic OKP Post. Dude has fallen off before even blowing up.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Dec-06-13 03:12 PM
How can his all this happen off this one album??!?!

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
2859992, five post pussy came in here to hate
Posted by Menphyel7, Fri Dec-06-13 03:16 PM
2860733, yeah probably some dude who submitted beats and Chance said nah
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Tue Dec-10-13 04:21 PM
2860115, Fall off?!? Dude has a track with Bieber
Posted by ChampAreno, Sat Dec-07-13 12:31 AM
If anything, his stock is bout to skyrocket. And this is still a top 5 album this year.
2860117, archive.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Dec-07-13 12:43 AM
2860731, lmao
Posted by Ashley Ayers, Tue Dec-10-13 04:02 PM
2860125, so, this guy has 4 other dumb posts somewhere on okp?
Posted by justin_scott, Sat Dec-07-13 01:52 AM
'cause there's no way this is the only dumb post.
2866080, This is ridiculous posting
Posted by Kosa12, Fri Jan-17-14 04:55 PM
I don't even like the mixtape but come on man, how the fuck has dude "fallen off" already?! smh....
2860200, c is a talented cat
Posted by judono, Sat Dec-07-13 05:33 PM
he's one of the new rhymers to check for. he can spit and he picks good production to rhyme over
2860574, FINALLY listened to this today...
Posted by 2nd2Nun, Mon Dec-09-13 09:49 PM
Really loving it. Sorry it took me so long to give it the attention it deserves.
2866079, So I kinda just "discovered" Chance. This kid is a genius.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Jan-17-14 04:52 PM

Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-