Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject Charlie Wilson songs now vs the songs he used to sing ( SMH)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2792985
2792985, Charlie Wilson songs now vs the songs he used to sing ( SMH)
Posted by ABROCK33, Wed Apr-03-13 12:15 PM
I know he is trying and succeeding in staying relevant but he's better than that

I don't know if he was the main writer in the Gap band or not but from "yearning for our love" and "early in the morning" to making songs about himself an almost 60 yr old man takeing girls home to see his momma and trickin ..smh

Its obvious he cant be writing this but its ashamed he has to sing these lyrics to stay on the radar

This is worse than Ronald Isley's Mr Bigg reincarnation to me

Chali has reduced himself
2793037, I didn't get this impression from his latest album
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Apr-03-13 01:36 PM
(Charlie has even taken to changing his whole image as of late)

but talking about the stuff he was doing with the hip-hop producers and R. Kelly... hell yes. I wrote about it in another thread. I hate that he seems like such a sideman on his own albums as a solo artist.

In light of how said hip-hop producers (and Snoop) helped to pull him from the ashes, I mute some of the criticism, but not all. You're absolutely right about the kind of things he has to do to stay in the public eye... couple that with what he's gone through, man.

That being said, Charlie didn't always write their hits (I think "Yearning For Your Love" was from Gap Band member Oliver Scott and "Outstanding" was by Raymond Calhoun)

but from day one, Charlie was listed as writer or co-writer of many Gap songs, going back to the Leon Russell-associated days.

I've been diving deep into the Gap's discography, and I've found that the Gap Band (in the Lonnie Simmons era) were getting Death Row-ed like shit. The Gap Band albums after VII for Total Experience had little to no involvement from the band and seemed to have been resurrected from sessions they must have compiled together (granted, Gap Band 8 has some jammin' ass music), and their run on Capitol was kind of short.

I'm kind of glad he's still around after all of that. But man.
2793187, lonnie simmons made suge knight look like a choir boy
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Apr-03-13 08:13 PM
and he was nothing nice. my uncle shared a story about lonnie which i will only talk about in the inbox.

Charlie wrote and played on alot of those gap classics. his voice was the money train back then
2793284, that was made quite apparent when I listened to 'Strike A Groove'
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-04-13 09:33 AM
>his voice was the money train back then

that has to have been the most disinterested I've heard any singer sing...

and shame on Lonnie 'n 'em thinking that would actually fly. they basically "traced" those songs on their 2nd album
2793330, lonnie had no shame
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Apr-04-13 12:24 PM
just re thread until you can't do it no more.
2793188, be quiet young turkey i love Charlie talking about macking and sacking
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Wed Apr-03-13 08:14 PM
he is doing it up and i love it. i want more of that charlie anyway and its cool. the Brother ain't changed and he has fun with his music and if you don't like it then don't buy meanwhile I will always support Brother Charlie Wilson. i love the modern era and the old school Charlie Wilson
2793203, Charlie's still dope, calm down
Posted by Calico, Wed Apr-03-13 09:43 PM
....not as great as he used to be, but still good....his latest album is one i really like... and he's still talking bout love, not so much meeting young girls...LOL
2793227, you don't be hating on no charlie wilson
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Apr-04-13 12:50 AM
we be digging charlie wilson period if you don't like it then bounce
2793253, I'm under age 50 so I don't pay current Charlie Wilson any attention.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Apr-04-13 07:13 AM
He makes music for ppl who are counting down the days to retirement. He makes music for grandparents who think they're still sexy. He makes music for ppl who still have one good hip. He makes music for ppl with high blood pressure but who can still do a 2 step. He makes music for car ride home from a Bid Whist party. He makes music by which to cut out your AARP card.
2793263, Lol
Posted by ABROCK33, Thu Apr-04-13 08:16 AM
2795261, RE: I'm under age 50 so I don't pay current Charlie Wilson any attention.
Posted by Strangeways, Thu Apr-11-13 08:40 AM
and I am in my early 30's and the only gap band album that I like which is their best lp is the gap band 3 with burn like rubber and humping and nothing comes to sleepers but a dream. I saw him on tv on the trumpet awards last weekend and I dont pay his current stuff any mind either.