Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectIt's the voice.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2785760&mesg_id=2786240
2786240, It's the voice.
Posted by luvlee2003, Tue Mar-12-13 05:56 PM
Been trying to figure out what my issue is with JT.

It's his voice. Listening to Spaceship Coupe right now and his voice is just unappealing to me. I'm imagining a singer with more presence and soul and I think that person would kill this. Even the confidence a Trey Songs or Chris Brown brings could help here. (He's whiny, I know, just saying...)

What's crazy is a lot of the songs where he uses more layers with his voice sounds like NSYNC stuff to me. The first part of Mirrors has boy band vibes all over it.

Kudos on the energy of the album though. Layers of sound effects are nice. This has elements of the timbaland beats I preferred from the 2000's which is fun. This is basically that last Ginuwine album with Timbo that never happened. The strings and tempo remind me of how Janet did some of her albums too.

I'm wondering how radio play is gonna pan out. Although its an RnB album, this sounds nothing like the things i hear on "urban" stations right now. It's reminiscent of everything being played during timbos peak, but not being played anymore. Pop stations love JT though so he's covered, I guess.