Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2783152&mesg_id=2783246
2783246, RE: lol
Posted by thebigfunk, Sat Mar-02-13 03:34 PM
>have you ever seen a Prince show?
>
>b/c he does that in his shows. there's almost always a
>portion of the show where he sits on a stool and plays
>acoustic guitar. or sits at a piano and plays. no frills, no
>jumping around, no band. just him, the instrument, the songs
>and the audience.
>and when that's over he gets up and works it the hell out
>w/the full band backing again.
>
>but if he spent the entire show doing that i'd be bored for 3
>hrs. he's not a Folk act. LOL

lol, hopefully i've been around here long enough that you know i've seen dude multiple times. i know he always has that section, and that's cool.

the bob dylan quip was an intentional exaggeration - my point, more than anything, is that the older he gets, the more it all looks ridiculous. i especially dislike it when he's in rock mode - it feels especially fake because he's trying so hard to make it look sincere.

he still has the energy and the charisma, i'm not saying he needs to literally sit in a chair for a performance. but i'd probably pay more attention these days if he took half the energy he spends on doing those dumb facial contortions when he's playing the guitar, and invested that energy in - um, writing better music.

And I completely recognize that this comment is, um, ageist... but I think in this case, it's completely appropriate.

but if folks like it, then cool - and I'd still shell out the dough to see him again if I had the chance.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~