Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhat's the GOAT hip hop greatest hits album?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2774510
2774510, What's the GOAT hip hop greatest hits album?
Posted by Oak27, Thu Jan-31-13 09:37 PM
Every time I listen to 2Pac's Greatest Hits I'm amazed at how fucking unbelievable the double disc is. Between capturing all of his iconic songs and so many other well respected cuts, it also premiered songs that undoubtedly would have belonged on the compilation anyway (one of my pet peeves with greatest hits albums is they usually require at least a lead single to promote it and then a few other new tracks as well that end up not deserving to be near an artists "greatest" work).

Typically greatest hits albums are just a compilation of artists' singles which often times leaves off some of their best songs and leaves on songs that aren't really that great in quality, just popular. This hurts hip hop greatest hits compilations I feel since a lot of artists' best songs are really radio friendly and can't be singles.

This post was inspired by the Gang Starr discussion(s) today which led me to throwing on their greatest hits which I also love.

So besides 2Pac and Gang Starr what are some other greatest hits albums from hip hop acts that definitely do justice to the artist's catalog? OutKast got one right, that's where "The Whole World" came from, no?
2774516, Strangely enough you named the 3 that came to mind...
Posted by Brew, Thu Jan-31-13 11:12 PM
by just reading the thread title.

First one was Gangstarr. That one has just so many gems.

Tupac and Outkast honorary mention, came to mind right after.

And, you said it better than I was going to...the reason these ones are so good is because they didn't just add in singles and that's it. They took the best album cuts. I mean, Crumblin' Erb is easily one of the best Outkast songs IMO but if a major label had its way, it would've never made their greatest hits album.

In other words, I have nothing to add to your post, I just wanted to make clear that I'm in total agreement. I can't even think of many other greatest hits albums.
2774545, RE: What's the GOAT hip hop greatest hits album?
Posted by organix, Fri Feb-01-13 02:10 AM
i will have to cop this as i am not too familiar with dudes catalog aside from the singles.

one greatest hits album that did let me down though was tribe's anthology. they threw some suspect cuts on that one (if the papes come, hot sex, luck of lucien, keep it moving, etc), and omitted some key ones (1nce again, lyrics to go) but i guess to be fair it wasn't really a "greatest hits"?

-----------------------------
http://www.shenzhenphotos.com
2774561, Jay doesn't have one...if he did a double disc one, he'd probably
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Fri Feb-01-13 04:21 AM
have #1 or #2. But 2Pac's is amazing because his career was so short, that a lot of songs feel as if they coulda been on the same project....so you can listen to both discs and imagine it as a regular double album