Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe Only Black Guy at the Indie Rock Show (partial swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2772912
2772912, The Only Black Guy at the Indie Rock Show (partial swipe)
Posted by MME, Sat Jan-26-13 12:48 PM
http://www.mtvhive.com/2013/01/16/the-only-black-guy-at-the-indie-rock-show/

You guys are probably going to rip this dude to shreds lol. It kinda reeks of "ooh look at me - whoa is me I'm so different"

but still an interesting *essay imho

//..........There was no individual precedent for my love of alternative and punk culture. My family and neighborhood friends all exclusively listened to contemporary rap and R&B, the former not truly capturing my imagination until a year later (Wu-Tang Clan’s “C.R.E.A.M.” was the rap equivalent of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” in terms of opening my eyes to a new world). R&B still doesn’t appeal to me. There’s a sense of defiance that comes with liking something you’re not “supposed” to like; in a way, I knew I was sabotaging the uniform order among black kids my age. But mostly, it felt like something I could claim for my own, a part of American culture that wasn’t handed down to me or illustrated in history books. It wasn’t my parents’ music. It was something that was happening right now, and regardless of the color lines placed between it and me, it was something that I was a part of. //
2772913, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Posted by imcvspl, Sat Jan-26-13 12:50 PM

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2772916, Afro Punk wept
Posted by imcvspl, Sat Jan-26-13 01:07 PM

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2773094, hahaha. all 10 of their active members. n/m
Posted by Fructose Soda, Sun Jan-27-13 06:47 AM
2772930, **yawn**
Posted by Ghetto Black, Sat Jan-26-13 02:21 PM
2772951, FUCK
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Sat Jan-26-13 03:25 PM
people are still on THIS shit?
2772954, the ever trendy separatist movement for insecure blacks.
Posted by Ghetto Black, Sat Jan-26-13 03:29 PM
2772984, im soooo glad! i went to howard u!
Posted by Binlahab, Sat Jan-26-13 04:56 PM
where it wasnt a big deal to see mad black ppl @ all kinds of off the wall ass shows

2772988, RE: im soooo glad! i went to howard u!
Posted by MME, Sat Jan-26-13 05:14 PM
>where it wasnt a big deal to see mad black ppl @ all kinds of
>off the wall ass shows
>
>

Well with the 930 club being right down the street that makes sense
2773009, RE: im soooo glad! i went to howard u! (..and not a white school)
Posted by 201cue, Sat Jan-26-13 07:28 PM
2772985, Maybe more interesting was the NOI looking guy next to me...
Posted by Buck, Sat Jan-26-13 04:57 PM
...at the Meshuggah show this past May at House of Blues Chicago. He got there early and was wearing a sharp brown suit and black overcoat, Malcolm X eyeglasses, and a fedora, and he sat down at the bar and pulled out what looked like a copy of Das Kapital or some other revolutionary text, and read until show time.

I've met plenty of black metalheads, but they usually look like, you know, metalheads. I really wish I knew this guy's story.
2773109, Now this guy sounds interesting
Posted by BigReg, Sun Jan-27-13 10:16 AM
>...at the Meshuggah show this past May at House of Blues
>Chicago. He got there early and was wearing a sharp brown suit
>and black overcoat, Malcolm X eyeglasses, and a fedora, and he
>sat down at the bar and pulled out what looked like a copy of
>Das Kapital or some other revolutionary text, and read until
>show time.
>
>I've met plenty of black metalheads, but they usually look
>like, you know, metalheads. I really wish I knew this guy's
>story.
2772996, I just went dolo to a Ty Segall concert I was one of four black people there.
Posted by aesop socks, Sat Jan-26-13 05:43 PM
Yes I do keep count.
2773006, I was pleasantly surprised to discover I wasn't the only sistah
Posted by MME, Sat Jan-26-13 07:22 PM
at the Bear in Heaven show I went to a couple weeks ago.
2773004, This article is at least five years late.
Posted by Madvillain 626, Sat Jan-26-13 06:47 PM
I dunno, I see plenty of black folk at indie rock shows (usually black women tho). Though I've been leaning more towards techno/house lately, it just doesn't seem out of the ordinary to see people of color at any show, really. Especially with indie artists doing R&B and R&B singers singing over EDM.

What about latinos? They been fucking with indie rock without having some identity crisis.

I mean Frankie Crocker, the Belleville Three outta Detroit (young black girls in the D was pop locking to Italo Disco), third-stream jazz artists like Mingus, and any young black kid that heard Afrikaa Bambaataa spin is proof enough that African Americans BEEN into some other shit, it's really not special.
2773095, try about 12 years late. n/m
Posted by Fructose Soda, Sun Jan-27-13 06:50 AM
2773007, lmao i go to "indie" shows all the time
Posted by Kosa12, Sat Jan-26-13 07:22 PM
see black people all the time

(I'm black btw)
2773014, I can see where dude is coming from BUT....
Posted by blueeclipse, Sat Jan-26-13 07:41 PM
If he turns around and looks behind him things are changing. I had such a hard time with this right around middle school in the 90's when I couldn't deny my affinity for OTHER music. It's a tough space to be in, but once you own it, it's fuckin amazing cause you are truly blessed to be able to connect with so many different kinds of sounds and genres. I've gotten to a point now where I could care less about the black and white of it. I jsut want the vibes man. I do try and encourage ANYONE whether they are black or otherwise to not be afraid to trust what they are feeling if something appeals to them. THey may be doing themselves a MASSIVE disservice otherwise.

With youtube, spotify, ect and all of the festivals and shit now where everything is mashed up......this kind of shit really isn;t an issue anymore. I'm almost a little jealous of young kids now cause of their access and exposure to shit. I really had to go in for what I wanted. But it gave me a different appreciation and exclusiveness (which hipsters have exploited....."exclusive" doesn't mean what it used to mean.

2773093, my sentiments. exactly.
Posted by Fructose Soda, Sun Jan-27-13 06:45 AM
I went to middle and high school in the '90s, a time in which a story like this would make perfect sense. But now? This is a fuckin joke.
2773037, im usually 1 of 5 there
Posted by DolphinTeef, Sat Jan-26-13 10:49 PM
the awkwardness phase passed loooonng ago

damn i just realized i ONLY go to electronic and indie rock shows. last rapper i paid to see was Planet Asia in 06. but i digress...

this was a boring read and like someone else said...way too late.
2773088, * *Soundtrack for this post* *
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Sun Jan-27-13 03:53 AM
http://chriswind.bandcamp.com/album/color-wind-the-melodic-punk-adventures-of-chris-wind

2773092, More Interesting Variation On This Theme:
Posted by Cloak, Sun Jan-27-13 05:13 AM
"The only black guy at The Roots show."

Discuss.
2773100, LOL
Posted by Hellyeah, Sun Jan-27-13 08:44 AM
2773112, It's rare when I don't see a black person at an indie show
Posted by BigReg, Sun Jan-27-13 10:23 AM
even if it's metal.

I will say one of the oddest experiences I had was Pearl Jam a few years ago at MSG. I couldn't even find an asian person there...shit was like a universal meeting of the Aryan race.
2773310, anybody heard of Black Death?
Posted by Fructose Soda, Mon Jan-28-13 12:54 AM
They were an all-Black heavy metal band from the '70s.
And, no, I'm not talkin about Richard Pryor's tv band.
2773320, I think you are mixing two bands here...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Mon Jan-28-13 01:18 AM
Death=A dope, black proto-punk band from the 70's, not to be confused with the death metal legends...

Black Death=A black cheese-metal (not a diss!) band who dropped an album in the mid-80's. I've only heard some songs on comps but it is pretty cool stuff in the early Priest or Mercyful Fate way...

EDIT:Apparently, Black Death actually formed in 77. Whatever, it's an 80's band IMO...
2773340, or is he also mixing in Black Merda?
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Mon Jan-28-13 08:53 AM
2773520, have never heard Black Merda's music.
Posted by Fructose Soda, Mon Jan-28-13 05:49 PM
But no, they're not who I was referring to.
btw, cool name. "Afkap of Darkness".
2773518, cool, you like death metal too?
Posted by Fructose Soda, Mon Jan-28-13 05:46 PM
but yeah,... cheesy.
Atleast they did it without any cry-baby whiny-ness entitlement (unlike today's "AfroPunk-oriented youth).