Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: 2013 Electronic/Instrumental/Beat Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2768215&mesg_id=2771904
2771904, RE: 2013 Electronic/Instrumental/Beat Post
Posted by ajiav, Wed Jan-23-13 12:29 AM
Redshape - Square - last year but just getting around to it.

I've been in this fog from being busy the past few months, not as sensitive to music or art in general as I usually am. This is good enough to cut through that, though --- solid techno album, although with that said a lot of it is more "album" than "dance music," not a collection of singles but a good listen.

Switches b/t ambient-ish interludes and longer tracks, not too lengthy overall --- individual tracks are dynamic, varied in mood/textures. The best moments are in the emotional space between subtle-funk & sci-fi-spiritual-pathos owned by good techno.

Possible high points: "Atlantic" is fairly literal, like standing on the shore listening to seagulls - keyboards breathing deeply, phasing percussion. "Enter the Volt" lots of space, floating around, sounds dealt all around the stereo spectrum (or panning through them), bouncing snippets of moody dialogue. The last track, "Playground," reminds me a little of Red Planet/Martian stuff, though I may be influenced by the common use of the word "Red".

And then a contribution from Space Ape that I don't like, not the lyrics or the vocal performance. Trying to be versatile but too far into corny here --- the main flaw, glaring though it may be.