Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectAnyone Catch That 'Crossfire Hurricane' Stones Doc On HBO Last Night?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2756519
2756519, Anyone Catch That 'Crossfire Hurricane' Stones Doc On HBO Last Night?
Posted by Bombastic, Fri Nov-16-12 12:33 PM
I guess maybe because I know so much of The Rolling Stones' story backwards & forwards at this point I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised at how entertained I was.

The chronology of events for me and many others is wholly familiar but for someone who isn't as versed in them this could be a good introduction.

There's a decent amount of photos/footage that I can't recall seeing before & they pull nicely from previous docs both widely replayed (Gimme Shelter) and rarely shown (the famously shelved D.A. Pennebaker 'Cocksucker Blues').

Just happened to come home from dinner to turn on the TV right at the 'And Now, HBO Presents...' promo.

Within the first five minutes I'm hearing a Keith-lead-vocal-and-piano-demo while the camera catches Jagger sniffing coke off the end of a switchblade just before going onstage at MSG in '72.

From that point forward, I was hooked. The next two hours passed pretty quickly.

It wisely sticks to the first twenty years of their career when the 'next' album still mattered & it's crisply edited by Brett Morgen (of Robert Evans' 'The Kid Stays In The Picture' fame).

Worth a look on one of what will surely be many re-plays on HBO in the coming weeks or if you did catch it let us know your thoughts.