Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: so what's wrong with living off a legacy?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2740571&mesg_id=2742908
2742908, RE: so what's wrong with living off a legacy?
Posted by j_bhadra, Sun Sep-23-12 12:47 PM
>>I still like his music - some of it but the fact is, Prince
>>is living off of his legacy these days.
>
>so?
>
>>
>>While I certainly look forward to new music from him, I
>don't
>>think he'll be releasing anything that makes me yearn to
>hear
>>it.
>
>ok
>
>
>>His last hit was in 1993... things dried up for the guy very
>>soon after the name change.
>
>2004 Rolling Stone magazine named Prince as the
>highest-earning musician in the world, with an annual income
>of $56.5 million.
>
>
>3121 gave Prince his first No.1 debut on the Billboard 200
>with the album
>
>broke records in London tour
>
>lflower No.2 on the Billboard 200
>
>won some grammy awards
>
>
>yeah, that's really dried up

Listen man - I'm a major Prince fan as well but these stats that you've pulled out here need to be looked at in more detail.

Sure Prince had a number 1 record with 3121 but did the record have any songs that really captured the attention of the music buying public that he was attempting to capture? How long after selling a 168,000 copies of the record in its first week or so did the record fall off the charts?

The Grammy award wins don't say much considering he was shunned by them during his artistic and commercial peak - a run of records that will forever be remembered and idiolized. The Grammy's are no longer a legitimate artistic board - it's a corporate party for corporate artists and executives.

While I'm happy to see that Prince continues to play arenas, I saw him three times on the Welcome 2 Canada tour and all I can say is that my wife and I both agreed that he looked like he was bored. It was neat to see him play the venue but the Lovesexy era or Gold era Prince would wipe the floor with this guy.

Now, Prince in a tiny club (2500 people) in Montreal is another story!

But enough with the little stats - us fans going out and buying a record in its first week and getting a number one is hardly a success. Had the sales continued over a longer amount of time as a result of having a legitimate song on radio that captured the people's attention, well then you'd have a leg to stand on but right now, this argument is weak.