Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: MJ + Hip-Hop was laughable though.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2740571&mesg_id=2742335
2742335, RE: MJ + Hip-Hop was laughable though.
Posted by murph71, Thu Sep-20-12 02:57 PM
>and desperate.
>
>it didn't make him cool. he gained 0 points w/the kids doing
>that shit.
>
>let's not be brand new.
>
>or maybe i misremember HIStory?
>
>that Heavy D verse on 'Jam' was a'ight, but was also naked
>pandering. it didn't light the hood/streets on fire either.
>again, maybe i misremember....

I have to say this though...

MJ got away with A LOT....

That Dangerous album? MJ WON BIG TIME with the hood....

Mike won with the very same crowd that P was half-heartedly trying to court with the D&P's album (ironically, that album was a favorite by his black fanbase...More than most of his "classic" albums ironically...5 million copies in the US alone....)...As much as we hardcore P fans tend to down that album, the general public dug it...

But back to MJ...Pandering charges didn't stick to Mike in the 90s...

Mike was viewed as GIANT pop icon...And as such, he could do whatever he wanted to in terms of collaborations...There was no shame in Mike when it came to selling albums...Because he always made it known he was 'Bout it...He was still trying to crush Thriller...

No one shook their heads when Heavy showed up on a track...No one gave dude the screw face when he hooked up with Teddy...

*Though Blood on the Dance was horrible*

The screw face came later starting with History (Child abuse claims and pairing up new songs with classic songs hurt that release)...

By the time Invincible hit, MJ was seen largely as being a desperate artist who was merely a singer looking for the next hot producer...