Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: but I don't get "And he didn't care much for pleasing..."
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2740571&mesg_id=2742251
2742251, RE: but I don't get "And he didn't care much for pleasing..."
Posted by murph71, Thu Sep-20-12 10:55 AM
>Yet dude made lame attempts at hip-hop which seems to me like
>an attempt to crowd please.

That was Prince's attempt to prove he could do it ALL...

Prince's EGO was and still is MAMMOTH...But if Prince truly cared about pleasing the younger music fans he would have hooked up with real MC's that were killing it at the time...He would have hooked up with happening producers that were killing it...

MJ wanted to please music fans...even if that meant getting the younger heads...So he hooked up with Teddy...He got Heavy to rap on his track...He got Biggie to rap on his track...

Madonna got the biggest cutting edge dance producers to collaborate on her music...William Orbit and the like...

Prince?

Dude was so arrogant that he thought he could tackle hip-hop by himself...Nigga tried to rap HIMSELF...lol...And he got some wack ass MC's instead of doing what MJ did....And he never was able to swallow his pride to at the very least collaborate with another producer in the way Madonna did...

By the time P finally hooked up with "real" rappers (Chuck D...Q-Tip, Eve...ect...) it was too late...

So again, this takes me back to my underlining point...

The only time Prince attempted to "please" the public was on HIS terms...lol

But as a whole, P didn't give a fuck...