Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: The consistency ended with SOTT
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2740571&mesg_id=2740885
2740885, RE: The consistency ended with SOTT
Posted by murph71, Sat Sep-15-12 04:06 PM
>He shoulda realized his limits and left rap alone. Also he
>should have admitted to himself that Wendy & Lisa were
>integral to what the Prince brand had become, which is why the
>train began to lose steam after SOTT

First part, I agree with...Second part? Not so much...

I never minded him "talk-rhyming" on songs like "Irresistible Bitch"...But he should have chilled with including the wackness that is Tony M in the early 90s...Shit was terrible...

But Wendy & Lisa? I love the work they did with Prince...And I REALLY dig that era from 85 to 86...I mean, "In All My Dreams" is worth the hype alone...

But I think their impact on Prince has been way over-inflated...Before W&L's impact dude was making classics...So that was never the issue...

Prince's biggest problem has always been his obsessive need to release 100 songs a year during those prime years...Dude was nuts in that way...Basically he needed quantity-control...He needed someone to tell him to chill and smell the roses...

Prince simply burnt himself out...

As much as we fans loved his album per year steez, it created a shorter reign for dude...I always imagined what would have happened if Prince took two years off after Purple Rain...Or if he spaced out his albums and outside projects...

Sometimes you have to give the public a chance to miss you....But that's another thread...