Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOf All The Current New Rappers, Who Has The Best Chance Of Being An All Time Great?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2737121
2737121, Of All The Current New Rappers, Who Has The Best Chance Of Being An All Time Great?
Posted by vee-lover, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Time Great?

I wanted to include Lil Wayne in this poll question too

but

he's not really a new rapper imo although he began his solo career years after being a group member w/Cash Money.

So who would predict is heading towards greatness of all the latest rappers on the scene.

I say it has to be Lupe...

Poll question: Of All The Current New Rappers, Who Has The Best Chance Of Being An All Time Great?

Poll result (18 votes)
Ric Ross (1 votes)Vote
Lupe Fiasco (9 votes)Vote
Drake (4 votes)Vote
Wiz Kalifa (0 votes)Vote
Waka Flaka (0 votes)Vote
Other (4 votes)Vote

2737127, Drake. Dude basically created a new lane, or re-opoened one that
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Sep-03-12 02:32 PM
hadn't been seen in a while.

There are rappers who are on the "conscious" side that are better at making music than Lupe, and he has made some very bland commercial attempts lately.
2737131, For some reason, I just don't envision Drake having a long career
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-03-12 02:37 PM
I think he has a shelf life of abt 3-4 yrs tops

>hadn't been seen in a while.
>
>There are rappers who are on the "conscious" side that are
>better at making music than Lupe, and he has made some very
>bland commercial attempts lately.
2737154, his next album is going to be a make or break one I think
Posted by Delajoo, Mon Sep-03-12 04:37 PM
The last one was an improvement on what hes going for. But if he doesn't take it somewhere crazier sonically, or improve drastically as a rapper, hes on his way to bubblegum city. he'll sell a ton, but he'll phone in on making anything interesting.
2737188, i agree with this
Posted by beatnik, Mon Sep-03-12 05:57 PM
because Take Care really surprised me, he went darker instead of poppier and it helped a lot, but really all his albums fit under the same umbrella.
2737129, Kendrick n/m
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Sep-03-12 02:37 PM
2737130, Lupe already considered an all time great by some..he not really
Posted by Menphyel7, Mon Sep-03-12 02:37 PM
in this age group...Rick ross been around a long ass time too.

I'll say Drake out of this new crop of mcs and this list.
2737133, really? he hasn't done enough to be included w/the all time great
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-03-12 02:39 PM
MCs e.g. Pac/Bigg/KRS/Nas/Kane/Face to name a few...he hasn't reached that level yet by a long shot.

>in this age group...Rick ross been around a long ass time
>too.
>
>I'll say Drake out of this new crop of mcs and this list.
2737255, yep he is already the mcs MC..the lyricist of our time
Posted by Menphyel7, Mon Sep-03-12 10:22 PM
he not really in this new breed of Kendrick, Earl, drake, cole and Krit of them he right before that.
2737138, LOL @ these options. Lupe the only one that don't suck
Posted by icecold21, Mon Sep-03-12 03:06 PM
Where's Kendrick? Krit?

But you gonna put Flacka on there?

LMAO FOH
2737139, That's what the option 'other' is for
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-03-12 03:08 PM
I simply listed a few rappers who are getting a lot of buzz right now...
2737141, Drake and Ross.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Sep-03-12 03:13 PM
Lupe burned up too much goodwill.
2737142, Either Lupe or Drake and it all depends on who is writing the story
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Sep-03-12 03:21 PM
Drake has the chance of going down as a joke.

Regardless of how popular you become, if someone pulls your card and you can't answer back...you can wind up as a joke in the blink of an eye and Drake can easily go that route.

But he might not. He may have a few more successful albums and hip-hop writers may just start throwing him in that conversation. He still will not be able to be as big as someone like Kanye though because Drake will never get love from the true hip-heads and that, regardless of what you think, does play into the argument. All of the greats have been able to have success while maintaining their credibility and I'm not so sure Drake has done that or will be able to do that.

Lupe on the other hand walks the line of losing both his mainstream success and his credibility. So he could go either way as well. If he would drop 2 more critically acclaimed albums then I would say that he has a chance to work his way into the top 50 or so but that's a long list so who knows.
2737163, Drake doesn't have credibility in the first place
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Mon Sep-03-12 05:11 PM
but in the era of low risk high reward, he doesn't need it to be seen as great in 15 yrs
he still won't be great by any means
2737164, true true
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Sep-03-12 05:19 PM
I was being nice because I though people like him from the mix tape but even that joint was soft as baby thighs so I never understood what people liked about the dude.

but either way, he will never be listed among the greatest MCs of all time.

we're talking Rakim, KRS, Nas, Big, etc.

I don't think anyone that has debuted in the 21st century will be listed among those guys.

just the way it is.
2737165, KRIT
Posted by HellToDaNaw, Mon Sep-03-12 05:20 PM
2737205, I like KRIT but I don't know if 10 yrs from now we'll still be talking abt
Posted by vee-lover, Mon Sep-03-12 06:39 PM
him...I think Big Sean has a chance to become a great MC before KRIT
2737207, LOL @ Big Sean and Great MC in the same sentence
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Sep-03-12 06:49 PM
not even to prove a point should that take place.

I do agree that Krit won't be talked about though.
2737210, Sadly I might have to agree
Posted by dalecooper, Mon Sep-03-12 07:06 PM

>I do agree that Krit won't be talked about though.

KRIT's showing signs of being on the verge of kinda wasting his buzz. I loved the mixtapes but he didn't really expand beyond a certain template, and the album was regressive rather than growing further. Ultimately I'm starting to think he's a lesser light who has a really nice ear for production; anyone hoping he'd be the next 'Kast, it ain't happening. I'll keep checking for him but I'm not sure he's ever going to beat, or even live up to, those first two tapes.
2737214, yea he missed with that album
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Sep-03-12 07:31 PM
I mean tracks 6 and 7 were so bad it hurt the entire album for me.

it's like this, you either have mainstream success and ride that out and do just enough to keep the heads happy, or you don't have the mainstream success and just do what you do best.

I have so much respect for an MC like Freeway because he knows his lane and he puts out quality albums.

Not saying that he will be remembered with the greats but he has a better chance of ending higher up on that list than these flash in the pan MCs.

2737213, krit will be irrelevant in 5
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Sep-03-12 07:29 PM
if sean ups his subject matter i can see it.
dude has a gift with flow.
2737254, yea right KRIT GOT FANS! and release 4 great products
Posted by Menphyel7, Mon Sep-03-12 10:21 PM
us Southerners don't toss people aside who are true and Krit is...He will always have a home.
2737221, no... and I like him
Posted by kysersozey, Mon Sep-03-12 08:28 PM
2737216, Danny Brown or Kendrick
Posted by DolphinTeef, Mon Sep-03-12 07:57 PM
All the rappers you mentioned (sans Drake) are already on a down slope at this point.
2737227, lulz!
Posted by Guinness, Mon Sep-03-12 08:52 PM
ah, okayplayer: a universe where lupe is relevant and drake isn't an superstar with two huge, critically-acclaimed albums. i don't even sweat drake, but he's clearly putting together a spectacular resume. lupe has a poseur skate anthem and a bunch of shitty opinions on politics.
2737253, Hi, my name is Guinness and I like anything that is popular
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Sep-03-12 10:20 PM
because it helps my self-esteem.
2737265, I forgot Lupe was a skater for 6 minutes!
Posted by mrshow, Mon Sep-03-12 11:38 PM
Remember when he had a shitty rock group for 5 minutes?
2737260, Drake
Posted by cjr2221, Mon Sep-03-12 10:40 PM
Or Lupe.

I think Lupe deserves it more just off his talent alone.

F&L and The Cool are personal classics to me too, but honestly idk who's discog I'd want if trapped on and island.....

Lazers was garbage though...

Ill go with drake. He makes good music and is popular. Whether some of you guys want to admit it or not popilarity is a factor in determining "greatness".

Drake def. has popularity and imo he makes good music.
Lupe is popular, not Drake level though, extremely talented, and makes decent music

Ross makes good music..... for some reason I don't see him being remembered like that though.
His mic presence is great lv though imo.