Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectOk. This album is WAY better than I expected.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2733903&mesg_id=2742049
2742049, Ok. This album is WAY better than I expected.
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Sep-19-12 08:18 PM
It's not perfect, it's definitely flawed. But it's good. Leagues better than Lasers.

The mixing on this album might be the highlight after my first listen. It's very... cushy. The beats feel like... sitting in an overstuffed recliner or... putting on that bubble goose down winter coat. That's not to say the beats are great, but they sound so... full.

There's several very good tracks on here, which was interesting, because most of the song intros had me cringing. Lupe's rapping. No one has ever doubted that Lu RAPS.

There is one, TERRIBLE song. Battle Scars. I couldn't make it through that one. The hook on Unforgivable Youth is also terrible, but when throughout the verses, the song is kinda dope. The Heart Donor hook is pretty weak too, as is Brave Heart. The rest of the song pretty much makes up for that in Brave Heart at least. Heart Donor is meh.

The beats are for the most part, very commercial. I would like something more... hip hoppy, but the beats aren't bad. Some of them are quite good even. There are way too many vocal effects throughout the album, too much adlibbing from Lupe, and he talks entirely too much. But that's all tolerable to me.

Form Follows Function, Cold War (despite the odd hook), Strange Fruition, and Hood Now are highlights, I would say.

After 1 listen, I give it a 3.75/5. Trimming the far a little -- Battle Scars, after a few more listens I'll be able to better pair it album down to the strongest 12-13 tracks.

Stronger recovery from the bullshit that Lasers was, even if it still does suffer from some weak hooks.