Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectis this THAT bad?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2731274&mesg_id=2739864
2739864, is this THAT bad?
Posted by GumDrops, Wed Sep-12-12 10:49 AM
my main prob with her pieces is that shes more of a PR girl than a journalist so it all comes out like a lot of breathless hyperbole. and she always has to put herself in the piece, but thats just her personal style. it can get grating BUT it kinda makes her pieces stand out regardless lol. i thought a lot of ppl here wanted journalists to have more personality, and to put passion into their writing?

and i say this as someone who thought the jay-z book she wrote was pretty annoying but kinda clever in how it repositioned and rebranded him to the point where it was like his personality as a 'writer' had no relation to the IRL person (edit - and yes this is important seeing as it was a biography).

she is the kind of 'friend to the stars' kinda writer though but for all that it makes you feel a bit sickly, she also gets some good quotes from her subjects alot of the time. she manages to get close to them.

but re: the maxwell piece, well thats cool shes a dangelo fan, but look whos had the better career. and as for 'maxwells biggest problem is that he will never be dangelo', well dangelos biggest problem is the same!