Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectQueation:which album would you say birthed Boston, Foreigner,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2724423&mesg_id=2724694
2724694, Queation:which album would you say birthed Boston, Foreigner,
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Thu Jul-26-12 08:54 PM
Kansas, Journey, REO Speedwagon etc. ? To *me*, the obvious answer has always been "Who's Next" simply because I don't know any earlier albums that has *that* vibe and comparing them to Zeppelin or even Bad Company doen't work for me (Key element:Blues/rock'n'roll influence in tonal language-the Who had left that behind by then, Zeppelin hadn't). Anyway, "Who's Next" SO much feels like a precursor to the type of music that prevented AC/DC going top 100 in the US prior to "Highway to hell" or even Motörhead getting a US deal until the mid-80's(basically when they were way past their prime and when other bands had caught up with their innovations)-they were an import only band before that.

Of course, I also hold "Nevermind" responsible for Nickelback etc. but the difference is that I was there at the time; with "Who's Next" I obviously heard it retroactively and I just heard lame stadium-rock...