Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThis is where we STRONGLY disagree...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2724423&mesg_id=2724643
2724643, This is where we STRONGLY disagree...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Thu Jul-26-12 06:28 PM
>>...which would include 80's and 90's and like everything. I
>>tend to view that particular album (which was very
>important)
>>as the beginning of "bore-rock". Prior to that album,
>>everything was fine. After:Overblown, pompous, non-energetic
>>and anthemic rather than melodic...
>
>any Airplane album,

No, they were lousy songwriters (somebody to love was written by Grace's brother which means that White Rabbit was literally the only song they managed to land themselves and she had already recorded it with her previous band) but they played good ^music*

the second & third Doors albums,

That band was ass from the get-go...
some
>Cream, a couple Traffic albums,

NOPE! Those bands were excellent *musicians* which means that while their *songs* may have been lacking, they were still doing good shit. Of course, being a good musician doesn't necessarily mean good music but I think both those bands delivered cool jams...
any of the
>overrated/now-forgotten hippie acts (Country Joe, Big Brother,
>Lovin Spoonful), Anthem Of The Sun, Hot Tuna, Steppenwolf,

Lovin Spoonful was an AMAZING band with a consistent catalogue; several of their forgotten album tracks contains songwriting that modern-day indie bands would kill for.
>Piper At The Gates Of Dawn,

That's an amzing album and maybe PF's best one (I think PF's best stuff was in the interrim period between Barett and Waters (not very consistent albums though)

What most of those acts have in common is that they played interesting and happening music whereas the Who cirka "Who's next" was jsut standard-rock blowed up to epic proportions-ERY important difference IMO... Actually, when people use the term "dad-rock" dismissively, that's the album 4tha4t4 comes to mind for4 me.4

Of course, the same people use that term for Stones,CCR and everythin4g that isn't a4nemic, non-rocking, uber-white, 4post-punk rooted indie but I digress...
and on and on.
>
>I've also got more great rock albums from 1970 on than I can
>could even start naming......it's the 80s where things get
>really hairy for me.
ĪRea44l4ly? Out4side of Bowie and Neil Yo4ung, 4I do4n'4t k4now4 too m4any ma44i4n4s4t4r4eam 44444444444444444non-hard-rock artists that ripped it in that era...