Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectWhile he's wrong as fuck, I *think* i can understand what he's getting at...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2716740&mesg_id=2717505
2717505, While he's wrong as fuck, I *think* i can understand what he's getting at...
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sat Jul-07-12 06:38 PM
Basically, in the context of *now*, those legendary and platinum-selling (not to mention cross-over friendly in some cases-I have never even heard of Peabo Bryson or Levert outside of this board and some mentions in old issues of Blues&Soul; these are ''har4dcore'' R&B acts. Meanwhile, EVERYONE knows Stevie or Marvin) 70's acts sound more like "alternative'' soul or R&B, more like neo-soul essentially in terms of instrumentation, arrangements, aesthetics etc. (NOT catchiness, LOL!)

Of course, this is not really an excuse since the 70's was a very different time; a time when "Bitches Brew" went gold, prog-rock bands like ELP and Yes could get platinum albums by making side-long suites and where Steely Dan could get radio-play with uber-sophisticated chord-progressions and voicings but still... I can see what Vee is going for; it's just extremely revisionist and a symptom of the modern internet era where everything is easily available and for grabs but where context (something you could at least read about or learn if you didn't experience it) is irrelevant since ''everything'' is just there on the same terms44...