Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLMAO b/w SMH
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2716740&mesg_id=2717481
2717481, LMAO b/w SMH
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Sat Jul-07-12 04:31 PM
>That's why a lot of the heads stuck on the past
>are gonna hate. This album is not for them. It's for real
>music lovers. Anyone who loves Fishbone, P Funk, and many
>other forms of non traditional black music will get stoked on
>his new thing.

You know, I've often said that one of D'Angelo's biggest problems is his fans. Not just the high-profile ones who pump out all this PR flack making him out to be the kind of musical giant that he can never live up to... but the rank and file fans are pretty obnoxious too, with their smug self-congratulation.

I think that's one of the things that irritates/motivates a lot of the "D haters"... the fact that the D'fenders can't just like the shit they like, they have to go out of their way to suggest (or sometimes striaght proclaim) that anybody who doesn't like he same shit isn't "a true music lover" or "can't feel live, funky music" or is a shallow pop-head or something.

I remember how mad folks got years ago when I said that people in the Lesson were not educated enough to understand Cody ChesnuTT, yet D'Angelo fans are given free rein to make comments like the one you just made.

EDIT: By the way, what makes P-Funk "non-traditional black music"? If anything, wouldn't it be *traditional*?