Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: reports are that D rippin the Essence stage up right now..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2716740&mesg_id=2717354
2717354, RE: reports are that D rippin the Essence stage up right now..
Posted by Skit08, Sat Jul-07-12 03:47 AM
He did....but honestly being that it was a mostly female audience whose there to see a ripped up D from the Voodoo/Untitled era I don't think D connected with the audience in the way that I would've liked.It was like the BET performance really.

To appreciate D'Angelo and his performance set entirely you have to be a die hard music fan who appreciates when an artist like D lets the drummer or guitar player do his thing otherwise you are looking at his set like 0_o.I know I heard some people said that the Essence Crowd might've been a tricky one.

He reluctantly did Untitled it seemed. He did it sitting at his piano. I see it wasn't included in his L.A. set list so me thinks someone told him that it was essential he did the song on top of the new material with this audience. I got kinda nervous for him as the women started to scream when the song started, but he managed to stand up and thank the audience and went back to the piano lol.

Seemed like the celebs and industry folks in attendance were more into it than anyone else lol. Just my observation.Every single one of them were standing up. I thought that was interesting.

And THEN you had D perform after Trey Songz?!!? I thought that was a mistake. Trey sucks live, but I would want the audience (made up of horny women) to clean their palate out before another R&B hearthrob who wants to rock out and not be looked at as a male stripper on stage lol.