Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI knew it I knew it I knew it - right on cue smh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2716740&mesg_id=2717243
2717243, I knew it I knew it I knew it - right on cue smh
Posted by vee-lover, Fri Jul-06-12 03:00 PM
>Did this cat just say that Marvin Gaye, Sly Stone, Prince,
>Stevie Wonder, James Brown and Al Green were not as big
>commercially as Aaron Hall, Jodeci, Gerald Levert and Peabo
>Bryson?

Prince is by far the most commercially successful artists I listed but he was more pop/funk/rock than r&b soul imo, I listed him under R&B simply because its obvious he's perhaps D's biggest musical influence and w/the exception of Stevie's 'Songs in the key of life' which was easily his biggest selling album, he had maybe 3 platinum albums and that's not a lot considering the total number of albums he has in his discography. The rest of the artists I listed under soul/r&b didn't have many platinum albums in their discography, including Marvin.

Now go compare how many times artists like Luther, Gerald as a solo and group member, Guy, and Jodeci went platinum w/nowhere near as much material...

>>D'angelo makes ART and doesn't seem to mind that his music
>>isn't radio friendly and/or may not go double platinum
>
>He minds. Fuck the dumb... If he could make music that was
>both artistic and wildly popular the way Prince did, you're
>telling me he wouldn't do it?

lmao - of course he wouldn't shun being commercially successful, the point is based on the material he releases, he doesn't seem sonically driven to make music that will sell lots of records or that will get a lot of radio spins. If he wanted to make Tre Songs type fluff R&B in order to sell more units, I have no doubt in my mind he could do it.

>>Your silly and half thought out comments makes it difficult
>to
>>have an honest discussion abt certain artists, specifically
>>D'angelo. Stop posting like you comparing two athletes to
>one
>>another, this ain't a sports board this is a board abt music
>>discussions...or at least I thought it was.
>
>Irony that this dude is calling someone else's post "silly and
>half thought out"... I actually opted to ignore some of the
>other ignorant statements in here because I don't want to turn
>this into that kind of poast.

but I wasn't directing the reply to you and have made it a point to avoid you and Maxx in ANY post for the most part, but Maxx can't seem to say anything of substance and/or praise when it comes to D'angelo and that's the only reason why I felt the need to call him on that dumb ish - as for you, I already had a feeling you would respond nonetheless in his defense...and here you are.
>
>Just enjoy your D'Angelo music and shut the hell up on talking
>about Soul music history, as it is clearly something that you
>don't have even an iota of mistermaxxx's knowledge of.

now, I'm starting to think you must have an e-crush on him. There's nothing you, especially you, or Maxx w/his bad grammar can tell me abt soul music or any music for that matter....mofo be in here proppin up R. Kelly lmao...
>Please.

>EDIT: By the way, did you know that Peabo Bryson is actually
>one of D'Angelo's biggest influences?
>http://articles.latimes.com/1995-08-18/entertainment/ca-36622_1_brown-sugar/2

Ok and? I'm sure R Kelly listened to and *may* have even been influenced by Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway

but

his music doesn't sound anything remotely like theirs.