Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI Give The Show A Solid B
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2716740&mesg_id=2716909
2716909, I Give The Show A Solid B
Posted by Luke Cage, Thu Jul-05-12 04:00 PM
It was definitely great and I had a good time but I could also tell that he was VERY nervous. I had a good measuring stick since the first D'angelo show I ever saw was at this same House of Blues probably 16 years ago and I think the last time he was in LA on that stage was like 2002 when he came out with Saadiq to perform "Be Here". You could feel the anticipation in the crowd. Jesse Johnson on guitar is a smart move not just for his talent but you can also tell that dude is trying to mentor/coach D and that was cool to see and probably much needed for D'angelo as an artist and as a person. I caught a bit of soundcheck as the show started later than it was supposed to and there was no opening act. Love the band and I hope he keeps this group together for a long time because they vibe really well together. I loved the version of "Shit, Damn, Motherfucker" and the highlight of the night to me was when D just went out on his own and played the keys. I really think that's where he's most comfortable and you can tell. Watching him on guitar just makes me really wonder where all of this talk about him being "Frank Zappa" like on the instrument could possibly come from because I just don't see how anyone can say that. I'm not a guitar expert but just as a fan you can clearly see the difference between when he holds the guitar and strums and when someone like Jesse Johnson who is an absolute master holds it. Jesse holds that shit like it's his pet that he can make do anything at any time. I was disappointed he didn't do Untitled...I would love to have seen them do maybe a different arrangement of D's biggest song. All in all a great night and it left me hopeful for an album perhaps before the end of the year but most likely the top of the year.