Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectwell....yeah.... you could say this was a bold move.....but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2716427&mesg_id=2716659
2716659, well....yeah.... you could say this was a bold move.....but
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Wed Jul-04-12 07:24 PM
when you look at this from an objective point of view regarding whether or not this would be detrimental to his career.... I think it's actually a plus for his career..... it could give him some cross over opportunities ....

plus...

I mean ....

in the younger Black generation....the skateboard kids ..skinny jean jerk dancing kids.....who would be into hip hop and would listen to a Frank Ocean...... a lot of those kids are gay...or in the least have some preference issues they are dealing with. I wouldn't necessarly call it a bastian gay young people...... I mean I don't think one could look at that movement and just assume that it's MOSTLY gay....but there is an element there.

I think that Frank Ocean coming out may give a face and a name to the gay element in that movement, but I don't think it's super surprising or that he's risking his career by doing so....

the other thing that this does...you know the amount of homophobia or anti-gay bias in the Black community has been overstated for many many years. I'd almost call it a myth. There are scores of Black Gay entertainers and public figures who are beloved by the Black community. One of the primary characteristics of particularly the Black American community ACCEPTING their own...DEFENDING their own...and TAKING UP FOR their own when the rest of the world is against them...... Some of the Blackest cities in America have scores of Gay men and women..... church choirs on sunday have plenty of them...

Black America doesn't toss it's own to the wolves because they are gay, and honestly never really have...