Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectI think it was an awkward choice of song selection...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2715469&mesg_id=2716247
2716247, I think it was an awkward choice of song selection...
Posted by soulfunk, Tue Jul-03-12 02:05 PM
I understand where they were coming from. They wanted him to do two songs. One of those HAD to be Untitled, because he was performing for TV audience where the majority of people only remember him for that song. Then if he's gonna do two then he'd have to to a new song as well. Another Life is by far the best new song I've heard, but he couldn't do two slow songs back to back for this. I like Charade, but it's a bit too derivative of Prince to be performing as your one new song for this audience. So that leaves Sugah Daddy. I agree with the opinion that it's a song that is trying to be funky but isn't really there. My biggest issue is that it doesn't feel like a full song. It's something that should be a snippet/transition on the album at the end of another song or something.

The biggest issue with D in my opinion is the difference between who he is and what he's known for. If you take away his biggest hits - Untitled and Lady (both co-written by Raphael Saadiq), there aren't too many full songs in his discography. You have Higher, Me and Those Dreaming Eyes...and I'm struggling to think of others. Spanish Joint maybe? Brown Sugar barely has a melody at all. Some of the other great recordings he's done are covers. I LOVE Voodoo, but the majority of that album is jams and not full songs. That's why I love Another Life so much - it sounds like a full song and he hasn't done much of that. U Will Know might be one of the best songs he's written separate from Raphael Saadiq.

Someone else in this post mentioned that it's because his sound is filtered through hip-hop. Maybe that's it - in terms of songwriting alot of his music is essentially four bar loops. You can get away with that if the funk is strong but not if the feeling isn't just right.

But...back to the BET Awards - I think a better call would have been for him to do a quick medley of songs at the piano like he did on his European tour. Maybe do that leading into Another Life with the full band. I guess El Debarge already did this. Maybe what he REALLY should have done was wait until he actually released an album or at least a single and then performed.