Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectlol D was ALWAYS guna 'lose' according to OKP
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2715469&mesg_id=2715632
2715632, lol D was ALWAYS guna 'lose' according to OKP
Posted by araQual, Mon Jul-02-12 07:02 AM
poor guy can't even mount a comeback without the nerd brigade wetting their pants. Untitled was def too predictable a choice, but no matter how much negativity he or we associate with it, it's a fucking great song. a tribute/homage/wateverthefuck, but great nonetheless.
Sugah Daddy is TIGHT.
not revolutionary, not rewriting the annals of funkdom, it's.just.tight. "pretty good", even. stop frontin.

Af mentions his 'niche', which i agree was that 1st album sound (Angie's "Everyday" is another example of the 'atmospheric keys' sound he had). but i guess now "Voodoo" is his niche sound. he's still clearly enamoured with it. maybe it's got to do with not doing much since then, i dunno.
but i decided to make the decision NOT to cry foul if i get "Voodoo Pt. 2". cos a "Voodoo Pt. 2" would still cream so much other shit out today. specially watever new overly-praised piece of crap Kells has out this yr (he does shit JUST as corny, JUST as lounge lizard Vegas Act type, JUST as 'unoriginal' these days but gets a pass because he's R. Kelly, because he sung about closets. HIS bland shit is ok to praise, but D makes a slightly funky song, with real instruments, and holy shit he's the fucking antichrist).

"Write Me Back" is a fun record, but INESCAPABLY corny.
INESCAPABLY a retreaded rehash of things he's done before.
but it's cool cos it's him and we associate all things cornball with him now? i love both artists, but it makes zero sense no matter how u spin it, that Kelly should be so revered for doing HIS thing based on past music and not living up to the original sound while D does the same, but with a different genre, and gets righteously shitted on cos it's not stank enuf, not funky enuf, or HE'S not good enug to pull it off...like, MIND = BOGGLED over that one.

i'm not EVEN saying the detractors are wrong, the points against D were well made. but this is happening. nothing we do or say is gona stop it. if D doesn't get back up and out there NOW, he probly never will again. i feel like yous get WAY to deep into Ds every single fucking move, that u lose the ability to simply enjoy his new shit, no matter how similar it sounds like to stuff he's done before. i woulda thought he earned a right to slink comfortably back into the last artistic skin he wore before goin MIA. maybe that was the easiest way to come back for him. maybe we should all stop being such judgmental fucks and let a dude sing.

yikes @ this poast.
i mean i love okp, and most okps, but...pull the finger out ur buttholes and ENJOY this moment if u call urself any kind of a D'Angelo fan.

V.