Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Personally I don't find that Suga Daddy shit righteously funky at all
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2715469&mesg_id=2715629
2715629, RE: Personally I don't find that Suga Daddy shit righteously funky at all
Posted by rtoriq, Mon Jul-02-12 06:52 AM
That's good to know in terms of why you weren't feelin the song. Because when i first heard of the "comeback" in the Europe mini-tour, Sugar Daddy was the first clip i saw of him and i was J-A-M-M-I-N. Something about the piano melody at first didn't strike me immediately, but once he started singing and had the background vocalists, the chorus, and you started hearing everything mesh together, i started busting out in prose about how ecstatic i was that music rose dude from out the ashes. Then some mofo made an audio version of the live performance in Paris that i downloaded (but barely listen to so i don't spoil the album), and when i played that in my car, yo i just could NOT smilin and boppin my head.

So i think maybe that wasn't the best song for a "comeback"? Maybe "Another Life" would have been insane, but knowing BET Award watchers, they would have said it's "sleeping" music. And definitely wouldn't be ready for The Charade. YouCaintWin (C) - MJ. It is what it is: liked or not liked. i know i'm just on the side of like.

SIDE NOTE: It feels very weird to evaluate an artist like sports lol. That's just not my steez, but i guess that's the only way some people understand music (more "hits" = more points, keeping up with "competition" = good defense (eyeroll, instead of just doing you), being out in the court/field = releasing music, winner = worthless ass Grammys and BET awards, injury = time off to heal, fantasy football/futbol/basketball = popularity-contests-award predictions, etc. etc. And it's funny how all of things are understood in sports, but are bullshyt in the world of music. A mofo seriously injures his knee for good, understood. L Boogie and Bill Withers want to take time off for family, mental health; stupid. Athlete/player comes back on the court/field, welcome back. An artist comes back in the game, "how well are they finna entertain me?" (We're all guilty of this). Athlete may not win a championship, but hustle respected. An artist may not win a Grammy or Billboard award and the mofo that does is a standard that should be followed.

Wonder if i'm the only naive lady out there who just evaluates art for art *shrugs*.