Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectit was ignored because it's irrelevant to my point...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2702026
2702026, it was ignored because it's irrelevant to my point...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Tue May-22-12 06:03 PM
>>I'm not really speaking on how giles makes a living. I'm
>>talking about how his radio show has functioned as an avenue
>>for new artists to be heard.
>
>I got the vibe that the first time I said it, you didn't
>understand what I meant by "terrestrial," because your reply
>didn't address it at all. Worldwide is not really an Internet
>radio show per se... Is it available on the Internet? Yes. Is
>it awesome that people around the world get to listen to it
>online? Also yes.
>
>But if you live in the UK, that show is on regular, national
>radio--not even pirate radio.

Gilles Peterson breaks new artists ..he's not playing whats on the top of the charts...that's never been the purpose of his show...in fact it's been the exact opposite...

the fact his show is on BBC radio is again irrelevant...I'm speaking about what music his playing...and who is making that music...and thus..the purpose of his radio show......

Gilles breaks a lot of new artists...plays a lot of white labels from many artists that eventually blow up worldwide..or that because huge more underground type of artists....he also provides a place for those artists to play their music live in session..which again is very much outside of the norm in terms of mainstream music.

>Which ties in to what dafriquan is saying about "you can't
>look at the whole world through the lens of the US" and what
>is available through corporate-control media

lol..first of all..I do not listen to ANY US radio (except for sports talk radio).... I listen to a few BBC radio shows....Solar Radio pretty on the daily and also Starpoint radio... but haven't listened to any corporate radio in years and years...lol. If anything my point in all of this has been to point out exactly what you just said...lol. So you repeating it in an attempt to be contrarian to what I'm saying is really really missing the boat.

Sure, over
>here everything is controlled by ClearChannel, but in other
>parts of the world, more adventurous music CAN be accessed via
>more conventional channels

again....that was my point. **shrug** Although you can access Gilles Peterson through BBC radio....does the music he plays impact the mainstream charts???

(which is not to say that Gilles'
>show represents "the mainstream" in Britain either... but it's
>there! On national radio!

you just answered...no it doesn't...

my point about the internet chittlin circuit is that there are ways for non-mainstream soul/r&b/funk/jazz/electronic/dance music artists to have their music heard...to market their music to audiences who will buy it..and who will go to their shows...

new artists....and estbalished artists who aren't on majors any more...or classic artists still making music.... there are ways to get it done out there and still make a living...

that's been my point....