Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectUh I guess I should've clarified that when Aretha debuted on Columbia
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2701926
2701926, Uh I guess I should've clarified that when Aretha debuted on Columbia
Posted by vee-lover, Tue May-22-12 02:44 PM
that the label execs didn't allow her to play the piano - it wasn't until she signed w/Atlantic and Jerry Wexler began to exploit her abilities as a pianist and suggested she play piano in her songs, including her early hit records on Atlantic, even though many ppl at the label didn't think that was a good idea since she wasn't a virtuoso pianist but having said that, there are many ppl who are fans of Aretha that didn't know she's a pianist because even later in her career around the lates 70s and early 80s she didn't play piano on her records.

>Yeah, this sound like some nonsense to me too... I know P
>started messing with sax a bit in the 90s, but I have never
>heard anything about him playing trumpet. And Miles would
>definitely not praise anybody he saw playing his instrument on
>a casual basis... He was pretty bitchy about that shit,
>actually.

Actually he was playing the sax well before the 90s, he took lessons as kid but didn't stick w/it. Maceo and Sonny T. have both vouched for him as a "really good" saxophonist. My point was just because I or you have never seen him in concerts or in video footage playing a woodwind instrument doesn't mean he can't play any horn instruments and the same applies to D'angelo. No one questions whether D'angelo is a multi instrumentalist...and I'm basing this off ppl like Questo, Angie Stone, Prince, and Raphael Saadiq who have talked abt the different instruments he plays.

As far as Miles is concerned, there are stories (maybe even urban myths) that have circulated for YEARS abt Prince writing songs for Miles and even played on some material that he has NEVER released to the public.