Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectGreat article but...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2701394
2701394, Great article but...
Posted by CRM, Mon May-21-12 02:08 PM
...let's face it, he won't make any mainstream impact from what I've heard of the new stuff - that's cool though if he doesn't want to. What I don't understand is how he's gotten by financially all this time since the end of the Voodoo era - Voodoo didn't really sell enough to support him, particularly in the midst of his crack habit. I know there were some major studio bills being run up when he started recording again - the studio would be block booked, musicians/studio staff would be there...but D wouldn't show up for months, too strung out on crack.

And re the guitar playing, maybe he just didn't feel comfortable letting go - he did seem stilted in the YouTube clips I saw, even affecting the fluidity of his rhythm playing.

He redeemed himself in the piano/vocal segments - that was some special shit.

I feel he'll have an uphill battle with this album - all that weight and expectation placed by others on his shoulders can't be helping when he hasn't released anything in 12 years. The last one was also out when illegal uploading/downloading wasn't as much of a decimating issue as it is now - although the demographic who'll be checking for him are mainly used to buying music still.