Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThey aren't making a living primarily off the Internet
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2701159
2701159, They aren't making a living primarily off the Internet
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Sun May-20-12 10:10 PM
or any online "chitlin circuit," I'll tell you that for sure.

And THAT was the crux of our disagreement... NOT about whether or not artists can survive outside of the mainstream.

>you used current Black Jazz artists as an example of artists
>who are more authentic than D'Angelo and making a living on
>jazz labels.... Previously the idea that there were plenty of
>soul R&B or electronic music type of acts making a living on
>labels that cater to that music and using avenues that are
>outside the mainstream for black music was something you
>dimissed....

Nope. I dismissed "the Internet chitlin circuit" and I still do. Especially since many of the shows you put forward as representative of your "Internet chitlin circuit" were actually primarily terrestrial even though you may exercise the option to listen to them online. And then you were citing artists like Dam-Funk--who is signed to Stones Throw, one of the biggest and most influential indie labels around, they may as well be considered a major.

I'm not gonna revisit this argument, by the way. I've said my piece and you sound crazy. Again: I run a music business that grew out of Internet buzz... does it make sense to you that I would "dismiss the idea" of non-mainstream promotion?

What I said is that there has to be some real world dollars being spent, or it is all smoke and mirrors. When you talk about an "Internet chitlin circuit," remember that in the real chitlin circuit, people BOUGHT TICKETS.