Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectand I asked you how many CDs/tickets you actually paid for
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2701112
2701112, and I asked you how many CDs/tickets you actually paid for
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Sun May-20-12 08:16 PM
>I used the term internet chittlin circuit to describe a
>marketing strategy that was sustaining artists outside of the
>mainstream current norms. I described the purpose of the
>internet chittlin circuit as being away for those artists to
>be heard and market the product outside of the narrowed down
>mainstream...for the purposes of getting their music
>heard...ie. going to concerts and buying records.

You couldn't tell me how many dollars you actually contributed to supporting these artists' careers, but ventured that you supported them by "spreading the word." And I asked you how many people like you thought they were actually supporting the artist by "spreading the word" and how does that help the artist who actually has to SELL to survive?

And your notion that I suggested there was no life outside the mainstream is ridiculous because (and I pointed this out even back then): I myself run a non-mainstream music business that was grown via Internet buzz, but has succeeded only because *my audience actually buys my shit*! However--and if I recall, this was essentially my thesis statement--that "Internet buzz" on its own is pretty worthless unless real dollars are being invested into supporting the artists, and way too many people think that circulating links equals actual support.

>bottom line is that there are tons of artists making soul,
>funk, R&B and jazz who are making really solid music and
>making a decent living using other than mainstream avenues to
>promote their work.
>
>You argued against that concept previously yet now you embrace
>it to try and diss D'Angelo.... lol..

I never argued against that concept and I didn't use it to diss D'Angelo either. I ridiculed vee-lover's (false) claim that there is no market for jazz. But I guess anybody who disagrees with a D'Angelo stan on *any* subject is automatically dissing D'Angelo smh