Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectshould have found the truth on your hiatus....lol
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2701102
2701102, should have found the truth on your hiatus....lol
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Sun May-20-12 07:55 PM
>>many non-mainstream Soul/Funk/R&B artists were making a
>>decent living utilizing avenues other than mainstream
>.....you
>>dismissed that idea....
>
>I never dismissed the idea that there was life outside the
>mainstream for Black artists... I dismissed the naivete of
>purporting that there existed an "Internet chitlin circuit"
>that could sustain careers without these Internet listeners
>actually buying records and/or concert tickets.
>

I used the term internet chittlin circuit to describe a marketing strategy that was sustaining artists outside of the mainstream current norms. I described the purpose of the internet chittlin circuit as being away for those artists to be heard and market the product outside of the narrowed down mainstream...for the purposes of getting their music heard...ie. going to concerts and buying records.

nobody ever said that the marketing technique described was a direct means for revenue....but an alternative route in a climate where only certain types of "artists" are availed mainstream marketing opportunities.

bottom line is that there are tons of artists making soul, funk, R&B and jazz who are making really solid music and making a decent living using other than mainstream avenues to promote their work.

You argued against that concept previously yet now you embrace it to try and diss D'Angelo.... lol..

song remains the same player.

>>yet there are Black Jazz artists still making it on the
>>grind???
>
>uh... yes. there are.

right...I been told you so...lol.