Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectThe funny thing is you actually think you make sound points but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2701000
2701000, The funny thing is you actually think you make sound points but
Posted by vee-lover, Sun May-20-12 02:58 PM
in actuality you invariably miss the point and end up sounding more stupid than you really are...

>working today who are "purer" artists than D'Angelo... even
>using your definition (which I find problematic to begin
>with)
>
>There are loads of African-American independent R&B and soul
>musicians, rock musicians... there are musicians without
>record deals who play live every night... there are folk
>musicians...

I mean seriously?!?! did you think you were actually making a good point pertaining to this topic when you typed it??

let explain to you why that is: jazz artists can afford to be "pure" w/their art because there's no market demand for jazz music, therefore, unlike r&B and HipHop artists, jazz artists can make music freely w/o label execs trying to micro manage their music output because jazz doesn't mean much if anything to their bottom line.

And as far as independent artists, the fact that they're independent allows them to be 'free' sort of speak when it comes to their music LOL. To be a pure artist when you're D'angelo means a lot more when when you factor in the fact that he's on a major label who have demands and millions of dollars riding on his success (or failure).
>
>But D'Angelo--a guy who has barely played music at all in over
>a decade--is the only pure African American artist?

that's what he said...
>
>LOL I swear... some people will swallow anything, as long as
>someone "hip" and "famous" says it. Which, like I said, is
>part of the problem. People don't even care about "pure"
>art... they care about following "hip" celebrities.

this has nothing to do, you idiot, w/Quest being 'famous' lol...I accept his opinion abt what he said in reference to D'angelo because I've heard him on numerous occassions speaking abt music related topics and he always provides a unique and insightful perspective to the subject at hand.