Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectVery Good Interview - learned some new things abt D'angelo
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2700386&mesg_id=2700946
2700946, Very Good Interview - learned some new things abt D'angelo
Posted by vee-lover, Sun May-20-12 12:36 PM
Few things that caught my attention:

-Reading the article reminded me of how his label was trying to mold him into this modern day R&B sex symbol so much so that they dissed Angie Stone because she didn't "fit" the ideal image of what someone like him was supposed to be with

-I've read and heard others draw the parallel btw he and Marvin Gaye and I knew D'angelo has always felt this bizarre kinship to Marvin beyond just music but never read or heard it went so deep that his mother had to take him to see a therapist because of it

-Funny he once had to check Madonna for being rude

-That mofo ballooned up 300 lbs!!!!!!

-Never knew that some music's heavyweights (Eric Clapton and George Clinton to name a few) felt that way abt his music

and lastly, Questlove's quote abt what he said to D'angelo abt depriving listeners of his gift sums it up for many ppl waiting for another cd and have done so patiently for *11 years* and counting...

"This eleven year" freeze must end, not just for the artist's sake, but for the culture's. "I've told him: He is literally holding the oxygen supply that music lovers breathe." At first, it was cute - 'Oh, he's bashful.' But now he's, like, selfish. I'm like, look dude, we're starving.' When D starts singing, all is right with the world."

And Questlove stating that he doesn't mind being on "D-time" because as he said he feels "D'angelo is literally "the last pure african-american artist left" stood out for me as well.