Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectbut Dilla aint the only one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2693766&mesg_id=2695483
2695483, but Dilla aint the only one
Posted by astralblak, Sun May-06-12 04:06 PM
me, Phil, HL and others have brought up that you can say that about.

above in our convo, I laid out why El-P is a legend. you've yet to refute why he isn't

and you keep saying Madlib isn't one, which is laughable. he has contributed to the re-invention of Erykah's sound post Mama's Gun, provided Talib and Mos with some of their best material post 2002 in their very sporadic catalogues (and i know you are one who doesn't like The Ecstatic, but whatever).

Madlib was also THE sound of a particular form of the west coast underground from 98-05. he was dead in the middle of a sound that dominated the speakers of those of us who had fallen out of love with the direction mainstream rap took in those years. He, Egon and Wolf have basically shaped the diggin' culture and alternative sound spaces in LA. folks from Flying Lotus to Tyler the Creator have named Lib as one of their favorite producers/influences. Weldon Irvin and Mario Van Peebles have even commented on how great and talented Madlib is.

lastly, while y'all claim that popularity is part of it, so is critical acclaim, and Madlib has received it from The Los Angeles Times, Wax Poetics, Rolling Stone, The Fader, Pitchfork, The New Yorker, etc. he's not as UN-recognized as some of you are claiming he is. Shit the Blue Note owners CAME TO HIM, not the other way around. Madvillian sold 250,000 copies NOT 10,000 or 20,000 like some of the newer rappers we currently ride for.

Lib IS A LEGEND. to say no is an agenda, ignorance or that fuck boy shit