Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: exactly, that's the point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2693766&mesg_id=2695193
2695193, RE: exactly, that's the point
Posted by astralblak, Sat May-05-12 11:23 AM
>okay then so what's the problem with Kanye, Wayne, Drake or
>Rick Ross being considered legends of today? they are the ones
>shaping the sound of rap music. they have their own style and
>sound and there are plenty of people who think there music is
>quality.

I said YE is a legend, IMO one of the GOATS. Also said time will tell with Rawse...

as for Drake he is a branch from Ye's tree for one; and two he's only two albums in. also there is that thing, you know that he has a whole nation of critics / "haters". What legends you know has as many detractors as Drake? really I'll wait for it? That says something about the quality of his work, even though he already has a throng of imitators from Lil' Sean to The Weeknd

same criticism could be made about Wayne, but even though he's clownish and borderline awful at times, i will concede legends status to him for this generation on rap style influence, and work ethic alone.

>I see artists like Madonna or Celine Dion in the actual pop
>category. never seen rappers there. rap is rap. some you like.
>some you don't.

Jay is not a pop artist? Eminem? 50 during his first two album run? right now Pitbull, Flo Rida aren't pop artist? k.

>Is Em's discog good though? 50, Fab and TI aren't legends to
>you but Em is, why?

I am NOT A FAN of Em's music. don't like one of his albums, yet I'm honest enough to know I'm in the minority with that opinion. There are those who claim that he has two and three classics. There has never been a rapper with so much fame and rap credibility as Em outside of Jay and Pac. And just like with Pac, even though I myself only like songs and wouldn't call myself a fan, their influence and "prestige" is matter of fact. On a pure rap for rap sakes level, Eminem is damn near in a class with only 2-5 other rappers.

as for the rest all only have ONE ALBUM that could be called "classic" and all were short flames amongst a sporadic discog. also their influence, all of them, 50, Fab, T.I. has led to some god awful rap music. so no, none fo them are legends.

>Dilla had his hands in one of the most important groups in hip
>hop history. He also worked on Busta's projects when he was
>top notch. The Soulquarians were a movement. Dilla has
>impactful material under his belt. I love Madlib and El-P. Own
>a ton of their shit but I don't know if I can call them
>legends yet.

not seeing EL and Madlib as legends is just plain ignorant or being hard-headed for the sake of holding onto to your weak premise. literally RJD2, Blockhead, Atmosphere, POS, 7L & Esoteric, Mr. Lif, C Ray Walz, Aesop Rock, etc. owe their whole lane/style to El-P. he begat all of them. shit, He's worked with, or had many signed to Def Jux at some point. that's not even getting into how forward thinking and unimitatable El's production style has been. you want to talk critically acclaimed underground classics? Funcrusher Plus, Cold Vein, Fantastic Damage, his hand in re-inventing Cage sound, ISWYD, and now Cancer 4 Cure... boy stop!

as for Lib... please, lets not do this