Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectRE: Every Era has Legends: Post 2000 are Kanye & 50 the only Legends?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2693766&mesg_id=2695018
2695018, RE: Every Era has Legends: Post 2000 are Kanye & 50 the only Legends?
Posted by StakksAbbot, Fri May-04-12 05:05 PM
Atmosphere

Tech n9ne

Madlib

J-dilla

MF Doom

Curren$y

I think this era will be remembered for its sprawling influence, and the heads of all the subgenres will be remembered as legends in the future. I liken this to groups like Joy Division being remembered as Legendary with only a couple albums and minimal record sales. The sub genre they represent, the emo/post punk type stuff, them being the poster children for that makes them legendary.

Curren$y may not stack up next to Rakim, but as the leader of the Stoner rap/mixtape rapper reniassance, he will be considered legendary in the future, unless he completely falls off.

Often times the acts with stronger cult-like fanbases are the ones made into legends, while the more "successful" artists are the ones that get lost in the shuffle. T.I. was Running shit, when Jay-Z retired, but he is now lost in the shuffle as we, as a culture have moved on to the next "hot thing". While MF Doom hasn't released but one full length in what, 5-6 years, but ask most anyone who knows him, or about him, and he's that legendary cat in a mask.

I may not be fully fleshing out my stance, but I hope that it is clear what I mean, and I am not discounting the other "legends" nor am I saying mine are the only ones.