Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectyou just listed artists with huge fan bases...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2693766&mesg_id=2694003
2694003, you just listed artists with huge fan bases...
Posted by Crash85, Thu May-03-12 03:34 AM
and artists who have made music that has influenced many popular artists...

so..... as of RIGHT NOW... because I can't see the future... Madlib is an "underground legend"... a cult figure, if you will... His music has influenced a lot of artists who many people haven't heard of... We have, but the majority of people haven't...

A little different than Kanye West who changes whats popular every time he releases an album... not saying he re-invents the wheel or it's even something brand new, but the fact he's made 5 albums that all sound different and they're popular when they come out... Yes, 808's went along with the trend of people using autotune, but a rapper using autotune a whole album and it being accepted had not been done... as far as I can remember... and if you can't see the influence Kanye has had on music, especially in hip hop (from the artists to the sound), I don't know what to say to you...

yes, hip hop = pop now... it's not a bad thing... purist real hip hop snobs can be mad about it, or they can appreciate, or not, all the different artists hip hop has to offer and not kid themselves by saying madlib is gonna be ranked up there with Kanye West (in the eyes of the general public, think outside the Lesson) when it's all said and done...

Now we don't have to care about what the general public thinks... We can like who we like and call whoever we feel is a legend, legend... But from reading the OP, it doesn't look like Madlib fits with what he's talking about... RIGHT NOW

all of my arguments are based off of what the OP's definition of a legend is...