Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectSorry but I understand the hate towards pop-music.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2692113&mesg_id=2692279
2692279, Sorry but I understand the hate towards pop-music.
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Sat Apr-28-12 08:06 PM
Yes, it's absolutely right that it takes talent to mak a hit but there's a shitload of things that takes talent to make, including stuff that rarely get any attention whatsoever from mainstream outlets and that's where the problem lie.

Basically, for some reason I never fully understood, people want *their* favorite art to get mainstream recognition.

It could be the indie-snob who's pissed off that his favourite music doesn't get the attention on radio or MTv they deserve in his opinion (Why are they not listening to my favorite band? They must be brainwashed sheep).

It could be the pop-fan who's pissed off that music-critics don't give the credit she thinks her favorite music desreve (They only like No-Groove noise-music. Wh ydon't they give it up for Bruno Mars?)

It could be the pop-fan who thinks the songwriting of contemporary pop is inferior to that of the past (It's just beats! Where is the accomplished melody?)

It could be the R&B fan who wants his/her art recognized by the Rock'n'roll hall of fame...

And so on. Every quarter has their complaints and in the context of music-nerds who are record-collectors and listen to "weird" music that people in the mainstream has overlooked for like 40 years, the pop-music is the easy target. I'm *not* saying it's a smart or rational reaction but it's a *natural* reaction and quite obvious IMO...