Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectre-interpreting today's music as humor
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2689341&mesg_id=2689341
2689341, re-interpreting today's music as humor
Posted by david bammer, Sun Apr-22-12 09:30 PM
i made a thread in GD about a year ago about re-interpreting 90's babies, their endeavors and their achievements in a new light.
i propose that the generation that makes up 90's babies are the comic relief generation of history.
they are not to be held to any previous standards because they will not measure up to them.
their primary role, collectively as a generation, in the grand scheme of the last 100 years of contemporary human history is to provide the internet "lolz".
because "lolz" are best when committed unintentionally and without conscious effort.
to properly enjoy their existence it has to be understood that everything they do/say should be interpreted as humor.
once viewed in that light, they exceed all expectations.
i propose they have collectively laid the blueprint for failure and ridiculousness as viewed through the societal ocular lens known as the internet in a manner that future generations will look back in awe of. a truly "golden era" for internet "lolz".

anyway, applying this to music...
i think "older heads" need to bear this in mind when getting up in arms over any of today's "music", especially contemporary rap, in comparison to previous eras.
imo, it is entirely the wrong perspective to be taking.
it's all satire. once you "get it" you realize it's to be taken as lightly and about as seriously as a weird al yankovic, lil b or 2nd-3rd generation dipset album.
once this is put into proper perspective it all makes more sense and becomes enjoyable.

what it comes down to after this revelation is whether or not you favor "internet humor" or find it sophomoric, annoying and tiresome.
but that's on your taste in humor.
they're just merely filling a comedic niche.

imo, the world collectively needs to recognize "internet lolz" as in fact it's own genre, or category of music.