Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subject
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2687960
2687960, SPIN: Oh fuck... Bone has a classic™ album and Freestyle Fellow doesn't
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Apr-18-12 11:10 PM
That's just being objective (well I'd have to qualify 'hip-hop' classic to get the ™ approved but that's too long for the subject). And I like Freestyle Fellowships great album more than Bone's classic. And this isn't taking sales into consideration, though it is taking impact, which in some regard could be taking sales into consideration but then you're just working too hard to discredit Bone.

________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
2687962, RE: Of course sales matter. . .
Posted by Austin, Wed Apr-18-12 11:22 PM
. . .when we're discussing classics™.

~Austin

"Where in the world is your inspiration to say the things you're aching to say?"

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com

http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus

http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus
2688021, why should they?
Posted by GumDrops, Thu Apr-19-12 02:49 AM
fantastic damage, fantastic vol 2 and operation doomsday are all modern classics that didnt sell that much.

i see plenty of albums listed as classics in rock that prob didnt sell that much.

i think/hope the 'sales' criteria for hip hop classics will be relaxed later down the line.

2688067, we gotta stop calling every album classic
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Apr-19-12 07:59 AM
it's impossible to have that many classics in the hip hop genre. cult classic? I can roll with that. Cats are calling Puba's 2000 album a classic. Never heard that before in my life. The classic tag isn't even special anymore.
2688068, there are different levels of classic.
Posted by ninjitsu, Thu Apr-19-12 08:08 AM
universal classic, regional classic, underground classic, underrated classics, classic classics, lost classics.

i've started rating albums out of five classics.
2688170, RE: Flawless victory.
Posted by Austin, Thu Apr-19-12 12:31 PM
>
>i've started rating albums out of five classics.

~Austin
2688177, I fucking hate you guys
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-19-12 12:53 PM
>universal classic, regional classic, underground classic, underrated classics, classic classics, lost classics.

underrated classics, classic classics and lost clasisics don't belong on the list. underrated classic falls under personal classic umbrella. lost classic falls under underrated classics. classic classics fall under universal classic. you forgot genre classics. so the final list is more like:

universal classic
genre classic
regional classic
underground classic
personal classic

now if one were to develop a 5 classic system of rating it would mean finding an album in each of those categories to compare the album being reviewed against. it gets a score for each of those and then is averaged for an overall score.

lets start a blog.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am one thing, a musician." © Miles Davis

2688186, RE: I am literally sitting at my desk, trying to contain my laughter. . .
Posted by Austin, Thu Apr-19-12 01:03 PM
. . .failing miserably and getting the weirdest looks from people right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwIETDPZsTA

Fry's reaction mirrors my own to this post.

~Austin
2688188, *sigh*
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-19-12 01:05 PM
i wish i weren't serious.
________
Big PEMFin H & z's
█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃

2688246, I'M WITH YOU, IMP.
Posted by ninjitsu, Thu Apr-19-12 03:54 PM
2725681, can we do this though.... fa reelz
Posted by imcvspl, Mon Jul-30-12 07:48 AM
let's chat it up in the mu this week.
2797324, I'M CTFU.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Apr-18-13 11:42 AM
>i wish i weren't serious.
2688175, RE: there are different levels of classic.
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Apr-19-12 12:43 PM
nah, you have classic, great, good, solid, average and wack. there are over a 100 classics according to OKP. shit is crazy. there are a lot of albums I love but I ain't calling 'em all classics. that's what goes on around here.
2725845, Agreed. Classic loses its luster when one considers.....
Posted by The Wordsmith, Mon Jul-30-12 08:18 PM
...all his favorite albums as classic. Some albums are just good, solid, straight, cool, etc. There are plenty of albums I really like that I would never consider classic.

Since 1976
2797323, *virtually spits drink on monitor*
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Apr-18-13 11:41 AM
>universal classic, regional classic, underground classic,
>underrated classics, classic classics, lost classics.
>
>i've started rating albums out of five classics.

i lost it at classic classics.
2688071, Where does this convo stem from? Innercity Griots is pretty much
Posted by T Reynolds, Thu Apr-19-12 08:23 AM
in its own class as far as albums go to me

Fellowship is still making indie money without a major label and just dropped a great album

to me that makes their original (non-debut but first widely listened to) album more 'classic' in a sense

these dudes started legitimate solo careers off that

started whole styles and scenes locally and through the west coast even to canada

Bone is incredible I love em but I'm sorry despite them coming back recently they haven't had the type of run and local and international love consistently that Fellowship had and has

2797325, you're super Cali tho!
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Apr-18-13 11:43 AM
that album's not universally beloved like that.
2688181, Every album is a classic.
Posted by rhymesandammo, Thu Apr-19-12 12:58 PM
2688187, RE: ^^Kicked it up a notch.
Posted by Austin, Thu Apr-19-12 01:04 PM
**BAM**

~Austin

"Where in the world is your inspiration to say the things you're aching to say?"

http://austintayeshus.blogspot.com

http://www.last.fm/user/Austintayeshus

http://twitter.com/Austintayeshus
2688273, so does 50 Cent.
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Apr-19-12 05:01 PM
I found that album and its singles to be highly rubbish until some were remixed/mashed up. but a ton of people loved it despite its most glaring flaw. the music was ubiquitous. containing content that was once considered offensive, but in 2003, times had changed so that what was once offensive was no longer.

2725768, Bone style influenced people like kendrick Lamar.
Posted by Kid Ray, Mon Jul-30-12 03:14 PM
We know how much the lesson loves him.
2725769, A$AP Rocky as well
Posted by CMcMurtry, Mon Jul-30-12 03:16 PM
2726001, and nelly, usher, mariah, etc.
Posted by Guinness, Tue Jul-31-12 09:17 AM
2797322, Please show me Bone's influence on Kendrick
Posted by astralblak, Thu Apr-18-13 11:36 AM
He's from Compton, I'd bet my life its Quik and Freestyle Fellowship, one by pure regional saintlyhood (Quik), the other by osmosis (Fellowship).

I really don't think people outside of Los Angeles understand how much The Good Life influenced LA's rap style and approach

As for Bone their influence is all over A$AP, Drake, and Spaceghostpurp, Kendrick tho, i don't hear it
2797510, Good job pretending to act like you don't hear it.
Posted by Kid Ray, Thu Apr-18-13 04:23 PM
Yes he switches up his flow. One of his flows is thuggish ruggish.
2725966, neither have one classic
Posted by AlBundy, Tue Jul-31-12 03:42 AM
most acts dont

-------------------------
“The other dude after me didn’t help my case. It was just like…crazy nigga factory going on.”
Dre makes no apologies for his own eccentricities. “I was young, and searching, trying to find myself,” he says. “Never did.”-- Andre B
2726059, what in the hell are you vagually mini-rambling about
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jul-31-12 02:12 PM
!?!!
2797285, making sense yet?
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-18-13 08:41 AM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

2797287, I'll say it again: all classics are personal classics
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Apr-18-13 08:49 AM
I've always based classic on my own personal taste. Why should I regard someone else's opinion, especially someone i dont know and will never meet, as a bigger factor than my own?
2797313, I've recently come to this conclusion
Posted by Kosa12, Thu Apr-18-13 10:52 AM
which is why I have started labeling albums i think as "classics" as "personal classics" on my RYM

2797330, nah..its some classics out there rather you want to believe it or not
Posted by Menphyel7, Thu Apr-18-13 11:52 AM
what you talkin about are called favorites.
2797337, Again, why? What do I care what other people consider classic?
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Apr-18-13 12:22 PM
In general, "classic" is only slightly less meaningless than "relevant." It's pretty much interchangeble with "great." So why do I care if teenagers think an album is great or not?
2797341, classic™
Posted by imcvspl, Thu Apr-18-13 12:30 PM
It's about context. When you first become interested in music/genre/style/etc you go to the established classics™ to get a feel for what it's all about. It doesn't mean you have to like them or call them your favorites, but they are the works that helped define that which you are getting into. You can take that point of reference and say fuck all that shit, it doesn't even begin to represent what I like about xyz, but that doesn't take away from the fact that these were definitive pieces in the context. Helping to define or redefine a particular classification of work, that's what makes something classic™ and it is important.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

2797371, It seems like you're talking about "influential"
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Apr-18-13 12:52 PM
And yes, there are extremely influential albums that I don't enjoy but I can recognize their impact. But attaching the word "classic", which still has carries connotations of personal enjoyment, to those albums seems, well, wrong.