Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectLoudon Wainright III - Older Than My Old Man Now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2687376
2687376, Loudon Wainright III - Older Than My Old Man Now
Posted by okaycomputer, Tue Apr-17-12 07:33 PM
Older Than My Old Man Now is typical goofy Loudon. He's not reinventing a genre or anything, but this is transparent and raw...and funny. Simply a man reflecting on his life.

It won't be for everyone, but if you've ever liked anything from the guy you should check this out now.
2687461, last person I ever expected to see a post on
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Apr-17-12 10:24 PM
I fall into the category of having liked a lot of stuff the guy's done. Don't really have many of his albums, have seen him a few times in concert... in my experience most of his albums seem to have a couple of true gems, and almost as often as not they're the sincere ones rather than the snide asshole ones. He's rare though in his ability to consistently craft songs that are both hilarious and poignant, but once the you get past the humor you have some great songs.

Jeeze, I don't think I've actually heard one of his albums since Therapy, and my copy of that is a college radio station dupe, which puts it longer ago than I care to admit.
2687617, i've heard some stuff from his last few
Posted by thebigfunk, Wed Apr-18-12 10:22 AM
and enjoyed it, but haven't purchased anything...

A buddy of mine is actually a pretty big fan and he speaks pretty highly of his recent stuff... I just haven't had the time/energy/quite enough interest to check it out in-depth...

The last album I really checked for from him was Last Man On Earth, which he wrote after his mother died... I remember that being exceptionally good...

I still have that burn you made me of Therapy though (I think)... I need to see him live.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~
2687622, I saw him once or twice in the 1990s
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Apr-18-12 10:34 AM
it's definitely an experience, though I always saw him at festivals so it may have lacked the intimacy of a small venue.

THe lasting memory is the crudity, complete with facial gestures, of 'I Wish I Was A Lesbian (And Not A Hetero), which is not a particularly good song.
2687656, RE: Loudon Wainright III - Older Than My Old Man Now
Posted by Dariusx, Wed Apr-18-12 12:21 PM
I liked his 70's work (II, III Attempted Mustache T Shirt) I haven't heard his recent work I'll check it out