Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectYou boil it down a lot of acts either went from NE or Guy's line
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2686645&mesg_id=2686753
2686753, You boil it down a lot of acts either went from NE or Guy's line
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Apr-16-12 03:00 PM
BIIM were easily on the NE branch. Jodeci was in line from Guy. Most any other boy band in the 90s were in either camp or borrowed bits and pieces from wither what NE did or Guy did.

So Guy's influence never was in question. But as far was what they (and NE) did as a GROUP in the 90s doesn't quite work in the context of the original poll (*2ND* Greatest R&B BoyBand/Group Of The 90s...) Were both groups influence felt? yes. Did they do anything as a GROUP in the 90s? Not so much. Yes they both released an album (2 in Guy's case) in the 90s, none of which had nearly the impact as the albums they dropped in 88, and none of which really moved things, changed things, or influenced things in the 90s.

The fact that both groups influenced just about every male vocal group going forward from albums released in 88 by itself is impressive. And I admit, I banged the hell out of The Future and Home Again. But for this poll, I don't think either really fit because as groups they didn't do much in the 90s.