Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson
Topic subjectDunno about that. I think NJS was much more with Teddy than Guy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2686645&mesg_id=2686715
2686715, Dunno about that. I think NJS was much more with Teddy than Guy
Posted by spenzalii, Mon Apr-16-12 01:47 PM
Yes Guy was where it started, but by time the 2nd album dropped, they were just seen as 'part' of NJS, not the driving force or influence behind it. That was mainly Teddy. Hell, some idiots would even think W-N-E before Guy. So their being considered an influential 'group' for the 90s still kinda comes into question in context of groups in the 90's, like NE

As far as Aaron's 'influence', yeah you can say Kellz took that and ran. You can also say (and I'm sure Mixxx will point out) Aaron did the same with Charlie Wilson so.... Still, it was Teddy that was the driving force behind the music and kept working, not so much Aaron doing solo work or being on a hook (though I still love Erick Seron's Welcome to this day).

Make no mistake, I grew up with that sound and loved Guy. Loved Aaron's voice. But I can't sit here and say Guy, as a group, had much run or influence in the 90s much as I can't say NE as a group, had much run or influence in the 90s. Both acts had their biggest dray in 88, and while their effects could still be felt in one way or another, as groups it's hard to say they really fit this post.